Keeping refried beans warm in the crockpot?

Hello lovely Food52ers! I am planning a Mexican Fiesta dinner party on Saturday (I live in Denmark and am excited to introduce my Danish friends to Mexican food). I want to make the refried beans earlier in the day. I plan on cooking the dried pinto beans in the crockpot Friday night, then fry them in some lard with onions and some of the cooking juices, process in a processor, and plop them back into the crockpot. Do you have experience with this? Will the beans stay moist enough in the crockpot after they've been fried and processed? Is there a better way to make them earlier in the day?
Thanks, as always, for your help!

klfnwf
klfnwf March 16, 2012

As long as there is enough liquid that should work.

angiegeyser
angiegeyser March 16, 2012

This is the recipe I use for refried beans in the crockpot. The recipe instructs you to save excess liquid to adjust the consistency as needed. While I haven't let them sit in the crockpot for a potluck I have added the saved liquid the next day for reheating leftovers. I would imagine if you keep an eye on them and add liquid as needed they would be fine for your dinner party.

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2011/08/29/recipe-easy-slow-cooker-refried-beans/