What can I substitute a kaffir lime leaf with?

asked by cccasady over 6 years ago

allans

Nothing will provide the exact flavor, but a squeeze of lime juice (fresh) will help. Just a touch, btw

cccasady

This turned out well. Thank you!

Depending on the recipe, you could try FRESH bay leaf.

I see lime zest recommended.

raspberryeggplant

I do a lot of Thai cooking and while there's nothing that can come close enough to the taste and aroma of Kaffir lime leaves, lime zest is closer than lime juice.

cccasady

Substituting 6 leaves, how much lime zest?

matchaflan

Fresh lemon verbena leaf is very very similar. We use fresh kaffir lime leaves in Vietnam, cut it really thin to put on boiled chicken, and I've tried it with lemon verbena (was growing it for tea) and the leaves are amazingly similar.