🔕 🔔

Kaffir lime leaves

I found a packet at Whole Foods, so I bought it! 2 questions:
Ideas, recipes that I can use them for?
Can I freeze them to use later?

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Oh! Save some for summer and make this: http://food52.com/recipes...

Also essential in homemade Thai curry pastes . . . . and they're magical in a broth made with lemongrass, galangal, crushed coriander seeds, a few peppercorns, a couple handfuls of coarsely chopped cilantro stems and a few cloves of crushed garlic. ;o)

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Thanks AJ. Do you mean a chicken-based broth or a simple one with just those ingredients?

creamtea, you could put those ingredients into a plain chicken stock if you wanted, but lately (since I started making 18 out of every 21 meals vegan) have just been putting those ingredients into a big pot with filtered water. I notice that I left out another ingredient that invariably finds its way into this stock: the dark green top parts of scallions, which I save in the fridge for this purpose. We always have extra, it seems. A small regular onion or a few shallots could be used instead. ;o)

Thanks, HalfPint, hardlikearmour and AJ. Can't wait to try them out in all these ways.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Freeze them.. or shade dry them

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

Or grow them. I'm mostly an outdoor gardener, but I have a kaffir lime tree in a large pot indoors (in Maine) and it does quite nicely. It will supply you with more leaves than you will ever use, and it is not nearly as fussy as a potted citrus like the Meyer lemon that is its next door inside neighbor. Careful (not over) watering and some misting and fish emulsion are all you need.

D13b4854 99b3 4ffd b119 5625cec719c5  life as art japanese print 3

I find that they dry out quite fast in the fridge and thus become tasteless. I have kept them in the freezer but after a week, they lost their distinctive smell. My best bet is to buy them in small quantities next time or .. grow your own plant. Oh btw, they are a match made in heaven with ground peanuts.

Try putting them in peanut sauce for Gado-gado (Indonesian salad)