I followed the cleaning instructions for my carbon steel wok, but the bottom still looks brown/burnt (not rust). Is that ok?

nutcakes
nutcakes March 22, 2012

The bottom on the outside or the inside? If one the outside, don't worry about it. If on the inside, it should develop a brownish coating. Google images for 'seasoned wok', and there should be some pics to compare.

BurgeoningBaker
BurgeoningBaker March 22, 2012

If you have twitter, follow and talk to StirFryGrace. She is a Wok Goddess and enthusiast. I just listened to her speak and the bottom of a wok can take on different colors based upon a lot of varying things. Also suggested is to youtube Wok Facial which should cover seasoning/reseasoning your wok. But StirFryGrace is a Wok Doc.

bobbie joh
bobbie joh March 22, 2012

Check youtube - There is this amazing video of a chef in a chinese restaurant seasoning a new wok. I think your pan is just not finished yet!

Sam1148 March 22, 2012

A good black bottom on a wok is great. The inside should also be well carbonized, so it's seasoned and 'non-stick'--that can take months to achieve. Don't get so picky about cleaning a wok..just removing the bits and scrubbing with water and salt--like a cast iron pan for the interior, and giving it light coating of oil for storage. A black bottom on a wok also helps with heat transfer.

A good wok looks like hell, and cooks like heaven.

Panfusine
Panfusine March 22, 2012

Hey, isn't this the question that was posted by the staff at NPR for that article on the F52 Hotline?
http://www.npr.org/blogs...