My macarons are browning before they are finished baking.

They are starting to brown around the 9 minute mark at 325F. They aren't finished baking until 10.5/11 min. They come out of the oven a toasty golden color like you would want your other goodies to look like but they are no longer pastel pink or green. They aren't burnt because they still melt in your mouth, taste good and don't crack/crunch. How can I prevent the browning? This happened to 2 batches of batter (about 8 different pans worth). I considered covering the top of the pan with foil but I didn't know if that would ruin them.

asked by Rachelwrites over 1 year ago

Charlie Stanford

1st -- check your oven temp with a thermometer, maybe even two thermometers. If they're browning too fast on the bottom use a Silpat and double-pan them, though it sounds like they're browning too fast on the top as well. Try double-panning them and moving the rack down a notch in the oven.

Rachelwrites

Thank you! They are browning top and bottom.

Charlie Stanford

If you're sure they weren't in fact done before they over-browned, then I'd double-pan and lower the temp by 25* until you're able to check your oven with thermometer(s).

Rachelwrites

They were still quite slide-y when they started to brown. I will try 300F until I can get a thermometer reading.

Charlie Stanford

If you have a convection oven turn off the fan(s) and the third element and use it as a conventional if it will let you. Just brainstorming.... If none of this works it has the be the ingredients.

Rachelwrites

Do you mean an ingredient would be spoiled or just in the wrong amount? They look perfect other than browning. It's not a convection but I am going to try everyone's advice on the double pan, lower notch and check the temp this weekend. I'll try to remember to report back.

#1 - Verify your oven temp. I'll bet it's off and the macarons are finished earlier than you think.
#2 - Be sure you are not using a dark baking pan!
#3 - Don't use a convection oven for macarons. Go with your regular setting.

Charlie Stanford

Rachel, I think the answer is in the oven set up - temps/convection feature off, etc. but it's not entirely impossible that the ingredient proportions are off. Not sure whose recipe you're using but if you're using one that uses volume instead of weight measurements then it's time to make a move to baking by weight -- you'll get a better feel for proportions, too. You should even weigh liquid ingredients.

Sanity check here: http://www.seriouseats...

Rachelwrites

Hi. It's Colette Christian's recipe and it uses weight. Thanks!

Charlie Stanford

Cool. Check link I sent, which has other links as well, for lots of little trucs that might smooth the way for you.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

For what it's worth, I bake my macaron at 300F.

grandrivergirl

The last recipe I used called for them to be baked at 275 for 17 minutes and that worked well.