A FEW OF OUR FAVORITE THINGS. 50 UNDER $50. SHOP NOW »
🔕 🔔

What can I do with left over cooked mussels?

asked by beka over 4 years ago

Leave them on the half shell top with seasoned bread crumbs and broil, or again leave then on the half shell and top with you're favorite salas, or add to a soup

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

They are surprisingly good in pumpkin/winter squash soups.

My brother puts threads them densely onto bamboo skewers, using two skewers to keep them really flat. He reheats them on a nice smoky charcoal fire, and they are delicious. He now makes extra mussels just so he can make the skewers the next day.

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Back when I was a seafood retailer and we had extra mussels over the weekend(we were closed on Sun and Mon) I would bring them home, steam them and then freeze the meat in the cooking liquid for soups and chowders. They may have lost a little integrity but were sure good added to a chowder!

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

If they were simply steamed, like in white wine/herbs: mix up some mayo - homemade is good, but not essential, dijon mustard, chopped capers and/or cornichons, a little finely chopped shallot and fresh parsley (or not), s & p to taste. Add a bit of the chilled steaming liquid if it's tasty, to loosen the sauce a little. Serve mussels cold on half shell, covered in the sauce, or on thin pieces of toasted baguette. My mother used to do this with leftover mussels all the time, and called it 'mussels remoulade.' It may not be the classical remoulade recipe - yummy nonetheless.