Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

Smelly microwave

I mean really smelly. I burned, incinerated actually, chocolate (I know, I was in a hurry) in it a few days ago. It even burned through the bottom of my favorite measuring cup. It's been warm enough that I've aired out the house enough that the dogs will come inside now. But the smell of the inside of the microwave and the smell when I use it is second only to burning tires. Does anyone have a good method of getting rid of bad smells in a microwave?

B8f19483 b6dd 4ee8 b288 d1e5d79af410  face

I have squeezed a lemon into a bowl with equal part water. Add the lemon halves and micro on high for a minute or two. It will also make the interior moist and easy to wipe down. Repeat if needed. This works for me when I've splattered and cooked on stuff.

First wipe down the inside with a sponge and warm soapy water. Dawn liquid dish detergent is the best for cutting threw grease (no, I don't work for Proctor & Gamble). Then wipe down with a vinegar/water mixture. Wipe dry.

You might also have to clean out the electrical components: http://www.ehow.com/how_112178_rid...

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Wow, if the dogs don't like it it must be bad! I have a lot of success with 1 to 3 parts vinegar to water. I put it in my microwave and let it boil, and then wipe it down. Haven't tried allans lemon trick, which sounds good. You may have to do this more than once. I also have had great luck with mixing vinegar and baking soda, then I have a scrubbing polishing mixture, as well as odor eater.

And now I will check out HalfPints link.

Lemon juice, baking soda and vinegar are miracles workers.

How about that - HalfPints link said this - "Fill a small bowl with a 50-50 mixture of water and white vinegar, then set it in the oven and turn the oven on high for 5 minutes. When the mixture boils, it will remove stubborn smells inside the vents and loosen food particles on the oven walls."

Read more: How to Get Rid of Microwave Smells | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_112178_rid...

Thank you, thank you, wonderful people. You've saved an innocent microwave from getting the heave-ho.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

OK so I saw this earlier and just sort of filed it away in my head under "another use for vinegar" until after dinner just a little while ago, when my daughter microwaved some chocolate peanut butter to eat with some banana and let it go toooo long. The vinegar water combo did get rid of the smell in the microwave, but now I'm airing out the rest of the house. Warning: do not stick your head right into the microwave as you open the door after the vinegar has boiled unless you're very congested and need your head cleared!!

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I seldom use a microwave so I haven problem in buying a new (cheap) one when the old one gets dirty.