Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »

I burned my cake. Help!

I just baked Amanda's Vegan Chocolate Cake. It's a foolproof recipe that I've baked dozens of times before. This time I chopped up and added 3/4ths of a cup of high quality dark chocolate to it for extra richness. Then I popped it into the oven without realising that I had set it so that only the bottom coil was on. So now I have a cake with a burned bottom and a barely-set top. Do you guys know of any hacks or rescues for this? Thanks!

asked by Nithya about 3 years ago

The burned bottom is fixable, but I don't know about the underbaked top. Perhaps you could slice off the bottom, conceal the evidence with a thick sauce or a chocolate topping rich in melted chocolate,scoop it into small bowls, top it with whipped cream and call it a pudding.

Oh, I like the pudding idea. Thanks Maedl. :)
Some of the bottom's even salvageable. It's kind-of crisp and rather nice in a weird way.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.