How much minced garlic equals one clove?

I have a jar of pre-minced garlic in the fridge, but am not sure how much of that would equate to one clove of garlic.

jmburns
jmburns March 28, 2012

About 1/4 teaspoon. It should should say on jar

sexyLAMBCHOPx March 28, 2012

If you look on the lid the conversion is usually located there.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Cloves of garlic can range in size from half a teaspoon, to half a tablespoon, and up to a tablespoon i'd say.
The decision is yours how much garlic to add, if you like garlic go a little heavier on it, otherwise stick to about teaspoon depending on the recipe.
I also reccomend mincing your own fresh garlic. If you dont want to chop it fresh every time, I have a solution. Here at Wholefoods, we sell whole peeled fresh garlic cloves and every week i throw them in my food processor to mince it and put it right back in the same container and use that all week. That way everytime i need garlic, i just grab a spoonful out of it. Sometimes I'll add a little olive oil to it to make it it last longer. Hope that helps!

Esther Plume
Esther Plume March 28, 2012

I have frozen chopped garlic, and it says on the pack that a teaspoon is the equivalent of one clove. Per minced rather than chopped might be a bit less than that I guess, but not by much.

Voted the Best Reply!

bigpan
bigpan March 28, 2012

Sorry, I would toss the "packaged" garlic that has chemical preservatives in it in favor of spending the 20 seconds it takes to chop or mince fresh real garlic cloves.

Lisa Murphy
Lisa Murphy December 3, 2013

It's quite a bit longer than 20 seconds and if it's ORGANIC Garlic then there aren't any preservatives.

Athena103181
Athena103181 February 8, 2013

My jar says 1/2 tsp= 1 clove. Depends how finely chopped it is.

ChefOno
ChefOno February 9, 2013

I've always considered "clove" to be a useless measurement. Look at the variation on this page -- anywhere from 1/4 tsp. to 1 Tbs., that's a variation of 1200%

I use the conversion of 1 clove = 1 tsp. I believe Cook's Illustrated does the same.

ATG117
ATG117 July 3, 2013

I always add garlic according to my taste and what seems right, but I agree its probably about a 1/2 teaspoon. I'd also say that if you have the option to use fresh garlic, I would. The taste is significantly better.

Bluemoonske
Bluemoonske December 1, 2013

Most cloves are different sizes! A teaspoon would be a sufficient guide per recipe listing of "clove". Unless your taste buds disagree.

This can also depend on how much you like or dislike garlic. I love it. So a tsp for me would become a tbsp!!

Roxilicious
Roxilicious December 14, 2013

I think it's about 1/4 a teaspoon or one full teaspoon

Sara,Comerford
Sara,Comerford December 17, 2013

I always go with two tsp is one clove... But then again when I cook and it says "add two cloves garlic" I always like to add a few more for good measure because I love garlic!

nicholed92
nicholed92 April 17, 2014

The jar says 1/2 a teaspoon equals on clove.

Bob Likes to cook
Bob Likes to cook April 17, 2014

You can never have to much garlic.

sheilag
sheilag July 3, 2014

The ONLY correct answer is
However much you want it to be. There is almost no such thing as too much garlic

Wellington Wizard
Wellington Wizard October 29, 2015

OK, people. Are u ready for this?? How about taking a spoon from the silverware drawer...and filling it with minced garlic. That, my friends, is a teaspoon of minced garlic!! How lazy have we become?!

Susan W October 29, 2015

I don't think you read the question correctly.

Casualcook
Casualcook February 21, 2016

Obviously some of us have become too lazy to read every word in a question before getting snarky about being too lazy to measure out "how much is a teaspoon of minced garlic?"
Unless I misread the question (which I doubt since the reason I'm in here in the first place is because I had the same question) & everyone but you also misread it, the question was "how much minced garlic equals 1 garlic clove?"
Also I'm not a pro chef but I do consider myself a pretty good cook & can follow any recipe, but I had to point out that even if the original question had been along the lines of "how much minced garlic is in a teaspoon?" Your answer is still wrong bc not all spoons in your flatware drawer are actually exact teaspoons or tablespoons. Your answer should have been to use a measuring spoon. But again since that wasn't even the question at hand you probably should have just kept your snotty reply to yourself.
Unless of course your entire purpose in answering was to teach ppl what "irony" is.

Casualcook
Casualcook February 21, 2016

Casualcook
Casualcook February 21, 2016

I'm not sure why my reply is shown twice but maybe my phone is adamant about it?
Lol

Susan
Susan October 29, 2015

It is usually 1/2 teaspoon

Smaug October 29, 2015

Recipe writing is an inexact process, especially if you want to keep it short enough that anyone will read it. They're full of things like cloves of garlic, half onions etc. that you just have to guess at an average sized piece of garlic. Then there are things like "a cup of basil leaves" that could be anything from two leaves to a quarter pound, or the notorious "cup of flour" that depends entirely on how you measure it. Sometimes, you just have to fall back on your own taste and experience.

Richard
Richard February 24, 2016

You will never get the flavor of fresh garlic from a jar, so, there is no equivalent.

rldougherty
rldougherty May 1, 2016

Wow, I came to this thread because I did meal planning and prep and I require about 13 cloves of garlic this week. I decided to do it all at once today since it is a busy week, and was wondering what the rough equivalent in teaspoons, a clove of garlic was. I read through all the snark and now I have my answer. Yes, fresh garlic is best. Applause to anyone that is trying to be a better home chef, no matter what kind of garlic you are using.

Melissa Davis
Melissa Davis July 15, 2016

This is an old question with some old answers. However, I must say that I also use minced garlic in a jar because I can use a whole head of fresh garlic, and barely taste it. The amount of minced garlic I use must equal about ten or so average cloves, and even then it's subtle. I use a heaping tablespoon of minced per kilo of meat, up to a heaped tablespoon plus another half a tablespoon if it's up to 1.5 kilos of meat. Basically tho, I use 1 heaping TBS per dish. The flavour in minced, jarred garlic is more potent, possibly because it's preserved in salt and vinegar, and it's quicker to dip your TBS into a jar and toss it in the pan, or mix it up when making cold dressings, marinades, etc. I cook for a large family, and since I use fresh ingredients except garlic, I have decided that saving time by using the garlic that my taste prefers anyhow, is best for me. It also saves money, as fresh garlic here in new zealand is very expensive. The original question was about equivalent, but so many answers were about the asker's personal choice and reason for using the minced, which is actually trivial, judgmental, and beside the point. But, it's important to fight the good fight, yeah, garlic. Yay.

CJ
CJ January 21, 2017

NEVER NEVER use pre-minced garlic, fresh is so much better. As far as I am concerned if the meal doesn't have garlic in it it's probably not worth eating (except for most desserts). Both my wife and I are very good cooks, remember if you are using pre-minced garlic from the store it's packed in oil or something else. Depending on the dish I usually use 2X (cloves) more than the recipe calls for, NEVER had a complaint.

Kaz
Kaz June 15, 2017

I love both fresh and minced.
I looked up same question and got here.
I am using fresh minced garlic in a tube....no preservatives!!! I think im going to run with half a teaspoon per minced....wish me luck!!!