I have a 3lb bag of whole peeled garlic that expires at the end of the month. What things can i do with this massive quantity of garlic?!?!

I don't need recipes that call for 'one clove of garlic' - i need recipes that call for huge quantities of garlic!!

Thank you!!!

• Posted by: Erica
  • December 17, 2013

jilhil
jilhil December 17, 2013

Confit! Also, invite some garlic loving friends over, get some good crusty bread and have a roasted garlic fest.

a little spice
a little spice December 17, 2013

I'd definitely roast most of it and keep in olive oil in the fridge for whenever you want a spread for your bread! Also -- aren't there recipes out there for 30 cloves of garlic chicken or something? I don't know more, but I have seen/heard about it.

HalfPint December 17, 2013

You can chop up in a food processor, put into a large jar and cover with dry sherry. Keeps almost indefinitely in the fridge. Use whenever you make a stir-fry.

HalfPint December 17, 2013

Here's a delicious recipe that you might just make about every night, I know I do.
http://food52.com/recipes...

Brette Warshaw
Brette Warshaw December 17, 2013

There's James Beard's chicken with 40 cloves of garlic! Make this a few times and you'll be all set. http://www.jamesbeard.org/recipes/chicken-40-cloves-garlic

Regine
Regine December 17, 2013

Put them in the freezer in a sealed bag. I always buy a container of peeled garlic and keep it in the freezer. When I need a few cloves, I just get what I need. It works all the time.

Kate
Kate December 17, 2013

garlic soup! Here's Ottolenghi's recipe from Plenty: http://www.theguardian...

(Don't let the ingredient list intimidate you. I use a store-bought harissa and it's still really good!)

Kate
Kate December 17, 2013

Here's another recipe from Smitten Kitchen that will use 44 cloves! And has fewer ingredients: http://smittenkitchen.com...

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN December 17, 2013

i have a few ideas for you:
julia child's garlic mashed potatoes are my fav of all. she simmers alot of garlic in butter and that begins the base. You can make a big batch of that and freeze it for future.
Also Susan Spicer has a sublime cream of garlic and onion soup that i am making right now. If either appeals, send me your email and i will email you the recipes.

Voted the Best Reply!

boulangere December 17, 2013

I routinely roast large amounts of garlic in olive oil, then purée it, and press it into ice cube trays. Once frozen, I pop the cubes out into ziplock bags which I stash in the freezer so as to pluck out as many as I need at any given time.

Bill F
Bill F December 18, 2013

That's brilliant! As chefs (or foodies who aren't) don't utilize ice cube trays enough.

Michael
Michael December 17, 2013

To add to Cynthia's answer, pureeing and freezing the garlic won't detract from the flavour at all if you're using it in a sauce, soup, or something where the garlic gets fully incorporated into the recipe. However, if you need diced garlic the best way to go is the sherry or olive oil preservation methods. Beware, though. The sherry will eventually turn to vinegar, the oil will go rancid, the cloves will go foul. Like other readers, I suggest you adopt a garlic-centric menu for the next month or so. That way none of the good stuff gets lost. That would be a real shame.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks December 18, 2013

mojito sauce and freeze
then make mofongo to have with the sauce
:))

Erica
Erica December 18, 2013

I love you all! So, I've got a big bag sealed and frozen now. I'm also mid-roasting in olive oil, in preparation for pureeing and freezing. The remaining cloves will be used up in some amazing garlic-y soup...and if I've got more left after that...40-garlic clove-chicken it is. I love garlic! Thank you all for the GREAT suggestions. You've saved me (and my 3 lbs of garlic)!

Paul
Paul December 21, 2013

Freeze your garlic and use as needed.

Don't worry about it. Peel it and pop it into the freezer and use as needed.