🔕 🔔

Can I substitute sugar with brown sugar in most muffin/sweet bread types of recipes? How will it change the outcome?

I am making zucchini choc chip loaves. I usually use half sugar and half brown sugar and it has been great but out of regular sugar right now. Should I make a trip to the store or just use all brown sugar?Thanks!!

asked by bolityzo over 5 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

You can use all brown sugar. It has a little more moisture in it but shouldn't make a huge difference.

Brown sugar will continue to draw moisture from the environment, so be careful if you are doing a fruit muffin that's already moist. I made rhubarb muffins with brown sugar instead of white, and they were wonderful on the first day, but but the second, and then third day they were pretty mushy.

Yes and it will add a new and more interesting flavor layer