A Gong Bao Ji Ding (Gong Bao Chicken) I need to make sure there is 4 teaspoons of Szechuan peppercorns in this recipe seems like a typo

I have a question about the recipe "Gong Bao Ji Ding (Gong Bao Chicken) " from FrancesRenHuang.

• Posted by: cadfael
  • March 29, 2012

hardlikearmour March 29, 2012

I don't think it's a typo. You could try making it with less, if you're concerned about it.

cadfael
cadfael March 29, 2012

Do I add the whole peppercorns or do I just add the husk? I looked up quite a few sites on the net and there is conflicting info. Some say don't eat the dark seed it is bitter and gritty and unpleasant, and watch out for stems that are tough. I'm looking at these tiny things thinking how on earth can I remove the husks-I'm right in the middle of cooking supper! Thanks for getting back to me-I'm so confused-never cooked with these before.

hardlikearmour March 29, 2012

The Szechuan peppercorns I have are just husk. They are all popped open, w/o a seed in sight. I got mine from Penzeys. It makes me think they shouldn't have seeds in them.

cadfael
cadfael March 29, 2012

Thanks-Mine come fromThe Spice Trader in Toronto Canada (although I am a Bluenoser) and definitely have husks, stems and seeds which are gritty and bitter because I just ate one to test.

Therefore I think I will substitute chili flakes for tonight. Thankfully my neighbour is a Canadian snowbird who picks up a spice order from penzeys for me every year and i will get him to add the Szechuan pepper from there.

Glad you took the time-probably saved my supper.