A question about a recipe: Gong Bao Ji Ding (Gong Bao Chicken)

E4a2c52d 43e3 4a3b a021 a5fcb7f0eff7  2018 0508 gong bao ji ding gong bao chicken 3x2 james ransom 082

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Gong Bao Ji Ding (Gong Bao Chicken) " from FrancesRenHuang. It says:

"Mix together the marination with the meat; set aside while preparing the rest. *Can put in fridge for the day."

Is "the marination" the ingredients listed for tenderizing the meat?

asked by annaclarice over 7 years ago

Yes.

Abra Bennett

Yes, I'm sure she means the marinade.

I am so going to try that. The technique she listed for the marinade is known as "velveting". http://chinesefood.about...
It's extremely useful for stir fries.
At it's simplest it's a cornstarch egg wash soak.
A very quick fry in the oil to seal..and drain and return to finish with the veggies and sauce. It seals in the moisture of the chicken/shrimp/pork, preventing overcooked and dry chicken. Very versatile tech, and keeps the chicken very moist and tender.

I made it; it was great. It amazes me how Amanda and Merrill and the Food52 elves manage to find these fabulous recipes with all the recipes being posted every day.

FrancesRenHuang

Yes, maybe I should change it to 'velveting' the chicken. Sorry guys!