can anyone identify this Chinese fruit

D84804de 8ae5 4ba0 a667 f4e399af8011  img 3072

I have been told this is a Chinese fruit--would anyone know what it's called? It has the most delicious, wonderful smell--almost floral, but it tastes like a sour pear. The seeds are too hard to bite. It's about the size of an apricot.

asked by brooklynite over 6 years ago

Panfusine

Guava, the white variety. which happens to be almost as common as the elongated red pulp one that is more common in the US

Panfusine

I meant almost as common in Asian countries. they have sub varieties that may bear fruits the size of grapefruits.

yep, Panafusine is correct! That is guava. They do smell awesome. I'm always tempted to buy some, but don't know what I would do with it.

Panfusine

Cut them up into salads, they go great with other tropical fruit. I usually quarter them, add a mix of salt & paprika to sprinkle on and eat them like its sold on the streets.

Darlene Carrigan

@mrslarkin- I made guava jelly last year. I have been hoarding my last 2 jars. The smell that perfumed the house while canning was amazing!

PistachioDoughnut

Everyone here is right these are guavas...the firm they are taste very good..compared to the mushy yellow skinned. Panfusine's suggestion is really good. I like to add chat masala or li hing mui powder (dry powder of plum). And, we do make indian spiced veggie..i know it sounds wierd but yes.
Then, Darlene is right it can be really tasty in making jellies or jams. And, you can make cream cheese and guava stuffing esp red ones into stuffed french toast.

ChefOno

Guava jelly-filled malasadas

rt21

I've also made Guava sorbet..... Very tasty