Pear sauce instead of applesauce

Has anyone substituted pears for apples and does it need to be bulked up with other ingredients?

asked by fuhsi 21 days ago

Applesauce varies based on the cultivar used so sauce made from a Fuji will have a different consistency than Granny Smith, Gravenstein, etc.

Based on decades of experience cooking fruits, I would say the same goes for pears: the cultivar used makes a difference. Also, based on my experience, I would say that cooked pear has a similar texture to cooked apple from a general perspective.

So choose your pear cultivar wisely if you are picky about the consistency of the final sauce, otherwise just use something that is conveniently available.

Best of luck.

MrsMehitabel

Yes. It is delicious and doesn't need to be bulked up. I like to make a chunky pear filling (read: applesauce!) for bear claw danishes. Recommended!

fuhsi

Thank you cv and MrsMehitabel for your answers in the affirmative!