🔕 🔔

Best non-chicken chicken broth or stock

Need a vegetarian solution to a pureed vegetable soup that calls for chicken broth

asked by midcapjsb over 5 years ago

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I think if you compensate for the salt content of commercial chicken stock (taste first), up the herbs in the recipe to taste, and add a little extra fat (preferably butter), you'll have what might be missing.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Two non-meat ingredients that can increase the savoriness of a vegetable broth are mushrooms and tomato paste. Browning the tomato paste makes it even better. When I've added these components to a vegetable broth the difference has been substantial (and delicious).

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I often find vegetable broths to be too sweet. I'm a huge fan of using this mushroom stock: http://www.epicurious.com...

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

I keep this vegetable bouillon on hand at all times. Use it in everything. It has a nice spice to it, and is not sweet. It is from 101cookbooks via The River Cottage Preserves Cookbook http://www.101cookbooks...

And you can add what vegetables you like. For example, cilantro is not my thing so I use more parsely. When I don't have celeriac and shallots on hand, it is onions and celery.

A260bd9c 40f3 449a af3d 196e7c0111a0  3 eyes

I don't like most commercial vegetable stock, too much green pepper. Rapunzel boullion is pretty good. I sometimes make my own, tailored to the flavors I want. I also love mushroom stock for anything needing a heartyness/meatiness or earthiness. Definitely want to enhance seasonings if you taste it and it's missing something.

If you're looking to buy one, Pacific used to make an organic "No Chicken" broth that was great. I say "used to" because I haven't been able to find it the last few times I looked for it but I'd keep an eye out for it. I also really dislike commercial vegetable broth.