🔕 🔔

What is the best way to cook scallops?

asked by @philvwell almost 7 years ago

39c04017 7e7e 43b2 9344 e529de61a1bd  kandm
Kristy Mucci

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

Here is the winning recipe of the food52 scallop contest:

very quickly over a smoking hot frying pan. I like to have black pudding with scallops and a warm salad dressing. deglaze with red wine vinegar, mustard (this spits a bit!), olive oil,poured over salad leaves and a poached egg to top it all.

Scallops are my single most favorite food in the world, so I have scads of (what I think are) great recipes for them. They all have two things in common: they are cooked quickly over high heat, and none of them include tomatoes. (I think the flavor of tomatoes overtakes the delicate flavor of the scallops.)

Make sure they are very dry before you apply them to heat as well!

Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538

Pan seared, sprinkle with salt and pepper, heat skillet with butter for about 2 minutes until just golden brown, sear 3 minutes per side.

33f00148 b116 47f0 8789 76ae3bdb2bbb  photo 1

I do a basic recipe just like Summer of Eggplant, although I cook for only a minute on the second side. I throw some sage leaves in after I flip because I love browned butter and sage.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

And to CRS and Summer of Eggplant's combined recipe, I would add just a spritz of lemon juice at the very end.