What is the best way to cook scallops?

asked by @philvwell over 7 years ago

Kristy Mucci
Kristy Mucci

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

Here is the winning recipe of the food52 scallop contest:

12tomjerry12

very quickly over a smoking hot frying pan. I like to have black pudding with scallops and a warm salad dressing. deglaze with red wine vinegar, mustard (this spits a bit!), olive oil,poured over salad leaves and a poached egg to top it all.

Scallops are my single most favorite food in the world, so I have scads of (what I think are) great recipes for them. They all have two things in common: they are cooked quickly over high heat, and none of them include tomatoes. (I think the flavor of tomatoes overtakes the delicate flavor of the scallops.)

skittle

Make sure they are very dry before you apply them to heat as well!

Summer of Eggplant

Pan seared, sprinkle with salt and pepper, heat skillet with butter for about 2 minutes until just golden brown, sear 3 minutes per side.

Meatballs&Milkshakes

I do a basic recipe just like Summer of Eggplant, although I cook for only a minute on the second side. I throw some sage leaves in after I flip because I love browned butter and sage.

Bevi

And to CRS and Summer of Eggplant's combined recipe, I would add just a spritz of lemon juice at the very end.