🔕 🔔

How do you make the perfect fresh French vinaigrette?

Nothing thick and almost creamy. Something smooth, sharp and crisp.

asked by Jason,Schragger over 5 years ago

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

1 part vinegar to 3 parts oil. Whisk in a tablespoon of dijon mustard as an emulsifying agent. Add chopped herbs such as tarragon.

If you want a sharper vinaigrette make the ratio 2:1 (oil to vinegar), add a dab of mustard (any type of dijon), S&P, and a pinch of sugar.

16f72ccb 3197 434b a946 8e9e68a3715f  cristina 014 web final

I have to say, most of the French people I know make their vinaigrette rather creamy. (The more mustard you add, the creamier the dressing will be, and French people love their mustard.) Like HalfPint says, if you want a sharper dressing, elevate the normal ratio of acid to oil.

I think the perfect dressing is: a spoonful of Dijon (good quality and spicy), a crack of pepper, a pinch of sea salt, the juice of 1/2 a lemon and a glug of olive or avocado oil. But here are step-by-step instructions, straight from a French mother's mouth: http://theroamingkitchen...

87f86426 f2d0 4b54 ba71 17590f103f69  dsc 0984

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I think of a very basic vinaigrette as about (per your taste) 3:1 olive oil to red or white wine vinegar, Dijon, salt & pepper and a tiny pinch of sugar. Herbs can be added per what you're making, if you like, but not necessarily. Whisk the Dijon with the vinegar, s&p and pinch sugar, then whisk in the oil gradually until emulsified.

Admission: I've abandoned the whisk for vinaigrette. I do the same order of ingredients, but whir it in the blender. Perfectly - lazily - emulsified every time.