🔕 🔔

Swiss "French" dressing/vinaigrette

I recently flew SwissAir and on each meal service, they served a Swiss "French" dressing with the salad. I was at first apprehensive because I don't like "American French" dressing (the orange kind) but was really surprised with the Swiss version - creamy white and very flavorful with a great tang. I can't let go of taste and have been craving it since I was in flight. I've been able to find some scant recipes online but not sure if they would yield the results I've tasted.

Does anyone have a recipe they've made or can attest as authentic or even know what I'm referring to? Thank you in advance!

asked by Lost_in_NYC 5 months ago
48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

This sounds like what you are describing:
http://www.europeancuisines...
It sounds delicious! I may try it.

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Thank you for sharing this recipe, Lisanne. I've been a bit bored lately with my salad dressings, I'm looking forward to giving this one a try.

Thanks Lisanne! I came across the same link and had it bookmarked in case I didn't hear back from anyone. I may have to give this one a-go (without the raw egg though!)

Trying it tonight. Sounds creamy and tangy. Delish!!

Update:

I made the Swiss French dressing as per the link with a few adjustments: no raw egg, dijon mustard instead of brown (both personal preferences), and honey & light cream instead of sugar and heavy cream due to what I had on hand. Also included some crushed garlic for more flavor. No need for water or stock as I adjusted the vinegar and oil as per to the quantity I was making. I also used an Italian spice mix from Italy that I need to use up (salt-pepper-dried oregano, rosemary, and other herbs).

The light cream does lighten the colour which is nice. And the overall taste was pretty good. I like my vinaigrettes to be really tangy (I'm an acid lover!) so trying to figure out how I can increase the tangy flavor for next time. (I added a lot of white wine vinegar in the trial batch!)

Overall it goes well with a leafy green salad and veggies and is different from the regular run of the mill dressings. Definitely try it out!