Do you have any tips to avoiding mealy peaches at the market?

I know you shouldn't refrigerate peaches unless you're desparately trying to save an abundance of ripe peaches -- but how about avoiding buying mealy peaches in the first place?

asked by passifloraedulis over 4 years ago
8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

The only way to avoid mealy peaches is to buy peaches in season. Otherwise they have been picked before being ripe enough so it is easier to ship. Then they spend too long in refrigeration while being shipped.

http://blog.lib.umn.edu...

This site has the best explanation on why peaches get mealy. The downside is the best way to avoid a mealy peach is to get it in season from a pick-your-own orchard or a store that would provide the shortest transport with the least transfer points from the orchard to your house.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

On the East Coast, I wait for peaches in season from New Jersey. (If I waited in Maine for farm stand peaches, I'd be waiting an awfully long time.......). The ones from California that arrive in the East are generally not worth it.

Imho, the best way is to buy the most local peaches you can find. The rest will have been picked green. No way California peaches are picked ripe before being sent to New York or Chicago.

Personally, I only buy peaches at our local Greenmarket. They are the most beautiful, delicious and perfectly ripe peaches around. And I freeze them, sliced and raw for use throughout the winter. Yes, they cost more, but they are SOOOOOOOOOOO much better!

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Take 'em back to the store and have chat with the produce manager. Any store worth patronizing will be happy to resolve the situation.

Wholefoods user icon

Ask the produce manager if you can have a taste, if the peaches are out of season or come from a long way away. I try to buy local peaches in season, but every so often you can get something really nice from Chile in the winter! Also, sniff the fruit. If it smells very distinctly of ripe peach, the flavor will likely be good.

6f611b78 35b4 4186 89ad c38b035b32f3  08270410avatar messbrasil

In this case I find that size does matter(well,in other cases too...but,never mind that).The mealy ones are usually those too big.Look for the the "ssss". Size. Smell. 's it not too hard not too soft? And last but not least:SORTE.(Portuguese for LUCK!).