Anyone have a hack for removing peach pits?

Our farmer's market has luscious peaches but they are definitely not freestone. I would like to serve them cut in half with the pit removed, but seem to always butcher the peach when I do this. They make great little desserts with a dollop of creme fraiche and a generous drizzle of honey.

asked by Uncle Jess 3 months ago

I use a thin, sharp knifearound the pit, then use a teaspoon (silverware not measuring) to ease it out.

Scott

BerryBaby - do you cut "north to south" or "around the equator"? :-) (or does it matter)

Matt Hermenau

Cut around the meridian but don't cut the prime meridian. You risk cutting right through the pit of a ripe pear that way. It's tempting to just use the peach groove as a guide but you'll end up with a split peach with half the pit in each hemisphere.

I cut north to south however Matt has a good point. Sometimes the pits are split so you wouldn't want to cut through it.
Using gentle pressure, I would still use north to south. I think the pit comes out easier.

I start by using a sharp knife to cut the peach in half vertically using the line that is already there. Then I first try twisting the two halves in different directions. That usually loosens one side of the stone. A grapefruit spoon (serrated on the end) then helps dig the stone out of the other side without butchering it .