What to do ASAP with not so great strawberries?

Bought a ton of what looked like nice strawberries, I was planing on using them as both a desert and appetizer for Easter dinner tonight. I started cleaning only to find they are over the hill and not the flavorful either. I can skip them at desert, but the appetizer table is looking empty, any quick ideas for saving them? Thanks for the help.

asked by Mlc1977 over 6 years ago

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Wash, cut up, freeze them. Use them for smoothies, daiquiris or margaritas, jam. You'll have to cook the jam down a bit longer than usual because they'll be wetter than usual because of freezing.

Or, wash, cut up, throw in a jar with sugar, thinly sliced candied ginger, and your choice if alcohol -- vodka, rum,bourbon, even triple sec, or red or pink wine. Let it steep for a couple of weeks. Use the liquor in drinks, with or without the fruit. Good base for wine coolers or sangria.

This saves strawberries every time. And if you don't have mascarpone, sour cream works just as well.
http://food52.com/recipes...

This is fabulous, and will work with less than stellar strawberries. The balsamic maceration of the berries is fantastically tasty: http://www.epicurious.com...

mensaque

I was going to say "balsamic and suggar on them" but hardlikearmour beat me to it.

mensaque

Oh,and lots of black pepper.

Pink pepper is great with strawberries, too!

Cherylkw

Slow Roasted Spicy Strawberries make not so great strawberries into fantastic berries. Great with ice cream, brownies, poultry, white fish or even pork.
http://www.eatthelove.com/2011/04/slow-roasted-spicy-strawberries-in-balsamic-vinegar-and-red-wine/#.T4IRshB5mK0

babytiger

Preheat oven according to puff pastry package.

Slice berries and mix with some sugar. Let it sit while you take some puff pastry out to thaw (about 10-15 minutes). Once the pastry is thawed, dot the middle of the pastry with a fork, leaving about an inch border on each side. Lay the strawberries in middle (not on border). Brush the border with some egg wash. Sprinkle a little more sugar on top of the berries and border. Bake until the pastry is golden, probably 15-20 minutes.

After tart is cool, cut into squares. Serve plain or with whipped cream/ice cream.