A question about a recipe: Maple Walnut Cream Tart

I have a question about the recipe "Maple Walnut Cream Tart" from cheese1227. What is and where can you purchase Almond flour and Maple sugar?

Cb03f37b fd02 45e8 9688 d6cb21e7d652  food52 04 03 12 2954
Recipe question for: Maple Walnut Cream Tart

maryvelasquez
maryvelasquez April 8, 2012

I saw maple sugar today at the Whole Foods in my neighborhood. I don't remember seeing it there before. Perhaps it is a seasonal item. I have seen almond flour there as well, off and on.

susan g April 8, 2012

Almond flour is also called almond meal. If you don't find commercial sources, like Bob's Red Mill, you can made it from whole almonds. There's a good video on food52 which is all you need to know!

Lelebakes
Lelebakes April 8, 2012

Thanks do much!

ellenl
ellenl April 9, 2012

Trader Joe's also carries it. In the Boston area, T'J.'s is $3.99/lb and the least expensive market has Bob's for $9.99/lb. I just bought both but haven't tried them yet.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen April 10, 2012

Bob's almond meal is made from blanched almonds and is a finer grind. the Trader Joe's product is darker and a little more coarse, as it includes the peels. Depending on what you're making, you might want to choose one type over the other. You can also make either type yourself.

paseo
paseo April 9, 2012

King Arthur online has both if you don't live near a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's

susan g April 9, 2012

Both mainstream grocery stores and independent health food stores are likely to carry the almond meal. Even discount stores here have Bob's!
As for maple sugar (maple syrup evaporated to much that the sugar granulates), that is more likely to be a regional item. You could probably take real maple syrup and boil it -- carefully -- to make it very very thick, since it doesn't have 'chemistry' in this recipe; it's more for its unique taste.
Please!! everyone, don't think that Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are the only source for natural foods. They are wonderful stores, but the US is full of thousands of small and large markets that are independently owned by people who work very hard to achieve a variety of choices at decent prices, with knowledgable and devoted employees. These are friends and neighbors in your community, another place where buying local makes a difference.