🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Red Onion, Lemon and Pecorino

A88da22f ab78 40b0 838a 206b18a005c7  5155770942 82132135ce z

I have a question about the recipe "Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Red Onion, Lemon and Pecorino" from merrill.

Would sliced scallions be a reasonable substitute for the red onion? Really want to make this and don't have all the ingredients.

asked by kbehroozi over 5 years ago

Although I see that the red onion would be really special in this I think you will get the general idea of the dis using (unsoaked) finely sliced green onion. Sounds great,

D6c5fe52 3529 43c5 b928 f3a3d47a8430  image steph blue hair crop

You could use it. It would be a somewhat different dish, but it would likely taste just fine. (maybe better, depending on your personal preferences)

I'll would sub shallots for the red onion, but if you don't have them use the green onions and report back.

C3306449 43bf 4ee5 84a7 e04644cc60c4  fb avatar

Thanks! Used green onions, oniony flavor definitely wasn't as strong as I think it could have been but it worked on the whole.

Also added sliced toasted almonds—which I highly recommend.

Finally, my lemon produced a lot of juice and the balance of the dressing didn't seem quite right. Wondering if a volume (e.g. 2 T) might be better than just "juice of one lemon"?

But I'm quibbling. This dish was awesome and we gobbled it up!