why did my Passover sponge cake sink while baking?

It was an 8 egg sponge cake with one cup of matzoh cake flour, juice of a lemon, and one and a half cups of sugar. I have made similar recipes before, and all was well. This one started sinking after 10 minutes in a 350 oven. What went wrong?

boulangere April 14, 2012

Is your oven temperature accurate? Too, the amount of flour seems too low. I'd expect it to be closer to 2 cups.

blue_iris
blue_iris April 14, 2012

Thank you for your response. You and drbabs both seem to think there is too much liquid. The recipe called for juice of one lemon, and I did use a large lemon.

drbabs April 14, 2012

I just made a Passover angel food cake--similar recipe--except egg whites only. It was fine with the 1 cup of matzo flour. Maybe you didn't beat your eggs enough? Without leavening, it's hard to get a lot of air into the cake. (I'd probably just use the whites, or beat the whites separately till stiff, then fold in the rest of the ingredients.) A cup of lemon juice seems like a lot also--maybe too much liquid?

blue_iris
blue_iris April 14, 2012

Drbabs, I think there was too much liquid..... juice of one lemon is a bit vague.... and I did use a large lemon. The cake does taste fine, although the crumb is quite coarse, and the slices are quite sunken. A little bit of strawberry-rhubarb compote does hide a LOT of the mistake. Thanks for your advice.

boulangere April 14, 2012

Typically, with a chiffon cake, half the sugar is whipped into the egg whites to create a meringue. The balance is sifted in with the flour. Yolks and oil are whisked together, and the dry ingredients mixed in. Finally, the meringue is folded into the mixture, the cake is panned up and baked immediately. The crumb should be very fine and tender. I think the consensus is right: too much liquid for the amount of flour. Thank heaven for compotes!

lamis
lamis April 15, 2012

T

susan g April 15, 2012

Compotes, trifles, toasted slices -- nothing is wasted!