Self-clean oven procedure, help! Typical cool-down time?

My husband decided to run the oven self-clean process without researching, just winging it. After it ran for 3 hours he tried to open the oven (I am guessing it was supposed to go through a cool-down period) and it wouldn't open, thank goodness. The oven started buzzing an alarm and blinking an F2 error code which I looked up - it means "the oven is hot." So he shut off the power to the oven. I say we just leave the power off, let it cool off. I said DO NOT OPEN. He is calling a repair service now. It is a Magic Chef that is over ten years old. Any thoughts of what the best course of action is from this point?

asked by Sadassa_Ulna over 6 years ago

Unfortunately, you might want to start shopping for a new oven. Alternatively, invest in some oven cleaner because you may be cleaning the old-fashioned way from now on. Mine did the same thing. After the Oven Locked light had been lit for approximately 36 hours, which I figured was probably long enough for the thing to have cooled down, I called for a repair. The service person wound up having to literally sever the locking arm in order to release it. I needed a new oven anyway.

Sadassa_Ulna

When he said he was calling the 24-hour repair service I mentioned I would rather put that cost toward a new oven than pay whatever crazy amount for someone to come out on a Saturday night!
Ironically this is the first time we ran the self-clean procedure since we bought the house 13 years ago.
Sorry you had to go through that and thanks for the warning...

Sadassa_Ulna

Sam1148 I love the vulcan nerve pinch description. Thank you for the suggestions for finding reset codes and secret hiding places for tech spec sheet.

Next time you're at a Asian market. Get one of those table top gas burners. My range is a flat top electric and I use mine for Wok cooking all the time as it fits my round bottom wok perfectly. They're pretty cheep about 20-30 bucks. And the canister are cheep; little LP gas canisters made for table top grills...about 7 bucks for 3 canisters--which last about 45 mins each on high.
That thing has saved me more than once during ice storms, power outages, picnics, and camping.
Here's a upscale model from amazon..but I don't think they ship the canisters...but most Asian stores will have them.

DOH! forgot to include link. http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-Table-Burner-Black/dp/B000G6S8Y8
The ones at the Asian store will have a nice case with a handle to pack it away. But don't do like I did when I was younger and stupid and used it with a grill pan..about 2 inches from the counter-top microwave oven and melted the door of the microwave from the heat coming from the around the pan.

paseo

You might be able to look up the manual from Magic Chef online if you know the model #. I am always misplacing manuals and the websites are invaluable. Best of luck.

cookbookchick

I just ran my oven's cleaning cycle the other
day. It's a Kitchen Aid, about 10 years old. The cycle took 3 1/2 hours before it unlocked. I agree with some others here that you jumped the gun and tried to open it before the cycle was completed.

Kenneth Vouvounas

While I was cleaning the oven utilizing the self-cleaning function (though it seemed like a good idea to me at the time), I learned first hand after reading a couple of articles (including this one), that the self-cleaning function is really not a good idea. I figured by reading a previous article today that extreme heat would be hard to ventilate once the oven reaches 900-1000 Degrees Fahrenheit. That prompted me to realize about the dangers of self-cleaning ovens (though I use them responsibly and cleaning them the best I could), and the one way I could do is to shut off the circuit breaker and allow the oven to cool off for at least 90 minutes to two hours, and I try to avoid the area. I even left the home to allow the kitchen (jointly connected to the living room to cool off. I even had to open the windows to ensure my home to vent a little better. I can only turn the power back on (via circuit breaker) once the cooling off period is done. It's not going to affect my health right now (and hopefully never will) as long as I can take the proper safety precautions. Now I am learning my lesson that I will never again use the self-cleaning function. I am lucky the fire department never arrived. They could have had I not took any precautionary action to prevent it from getting worse. I didn't know this any better until now, but I thought it would seem like a good idea at the time. I had to try, because I am doing my best to clean my kitchen, because it really needed it.

Lesson learned.

it's not uncommon to see little fires in the bottom of the oven while it's on lock down for the self cleaning cycle. Don't panic...just keep an eye on it. They go out in a minute or so. Usually it's pizza cheese or something burning off to ash.

I'll stay in the kitchen and watch it until it gets through that stage....usually about 1 hour or so. And yes...it will smoke and stink. I put a towel over the Aquarium and turn off the air pumps.
And if you have birds...move them to another room. Cats...they take are of themselves.
Turn on the range hood fan...and crack the window just a bit if it smokes up.
But if your oven is mostly clean and doesn't have gunk on it...it should be fine. Just remember to remove the wire racks.
The self cleaning cycle can remove some type of coating on them that makes them a bit 'sticky' fitting the groves of the oven to slide in and out easily.