🔕 🔔

I don't know if this is exactly the right forum, but I am wondering what y'all think about this article on cooking with oil that is in the NY Times today:

http://www.nytimes.com...

asked about 6 years ago

He's absolutely right. Using expensive olive oil for deep frying is silly and a waste of money.

Totally agree, pick your oil depending on what temp you are cooking at. I have always thought that cooking olive oil, especially extra vigrin at high temp releases some chemical toxins, not sure if that is fact or fiction. I use ground nut for high temps, sunflower for ordinary and save the expensive extra vigin stuff for dipping and dressing. If anybody knows the truth would love to hear.

ody

I wish the article had gone into more detail about the toxicity of heated oil, but it confirms the neutral flavor and purity of seed oils like canola and grapeseed as ideal for frying. Interesting that fancy olive oil, even though it contains so many other non-oil compounds, gives off the fewest aldehydes.

Baking is an entirely different story--I love to put olive oil in cakes that call for oil!

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

The thing with seed oils is that they have a higher smoke point than olive oil. So, like ody, I use canola or grapeseed for frying.

I knew that I heard something about using mac/grapeseed/coconut oils for high heat stuff, but I couldn't remember why...
Oddly, we do use olive oil (cheap) for the roux when my boyfriend makes his shrimp creole--that's what we always have. But last year he made it at my parents' house and they had peanut oil so he used that and it took forever (I guess that's that pesky smoking point).

I can taste the difference in seed oils when I use them for different preparations. I tried Canola oil when it became the oil of choice on the cooking shows. Most cookbooks called for "vegetable oil" for use in recipes or for frying. Canola has an odd flavor to my palate. I've tried several brands, and they all have the same almost musty aromatic quality about them. There were all new bottles, and not rancid! I like peanut oil for popcorn and fried chicken. I use saflower oil for just about everything else that needs a neutral oil. Olive oils are, I guess, too nuanced or sophisticated for my palate. I've never understood what constitutes a good olive oil as they vary so much from brand to brand, year to year and just the mouth feel is too thick or heavy (I'm trying not to say, oily or greasy here - Ha!) I find any oil that I use distinctive in flavor before and after heating, but that's only because of the flavor infusion from the food I fry in them. I've not done a heated vs pre-heated taste test!