🔕 🔔

beets please

Im still having a hard time keeping my beets lustrous and shiny like the ones here: http://cdn.sheknows.com...

I usually toss them with olive oil and salt then roast them in an aluminum foil packet. Do you think I would have a better result if I boiled them? Will I have the same depth of flavor? Usually after they are cooked and peeled I toss them in oil then put them in the refrigerator, but they lose their intensity fairly quickly.

asked by brandon over 5 years ago

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

Those do look gorgeous, but I think it is more about the olive oil after than the method of cooking (if you really want the look, maybe spray the whole thing with olive oil just before presentation?).

I both roast and boil, and can't say that I notice a significant difference in taste (but that may just be me); I do notice a significant difference in peeling. The peels really slip off the boiled ones where it is always a bit more of a struggle with the roasted.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Use whatever cooking method you want - baking is best. The photo is a salad so it appears they have been tossed in a vinaigrette and the fruit and cheese added as a topping. Plain vinaigrette ... No mustard or balsamic or other ingredient that would darken it

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

My own recipe for roasted beets goes like this http://www.food52.com/recipes... Horseradish complements that earthy beet flavor.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

It is March. There are STILL beets in the cellar storage bin. I am sick of beets. Bring on the fiddleheads.

I prefer roasting beets for flavour. You can dress the beets and them re-dress right before serving so that they're shiny, but it hardly seems worth the trouble. If they aren't as red as in the picture you are probably using a different breed of beet, some are very deep red, some are more fuchsia once they've been cooked, some end up almost orange once cooked.
Or you could hire a food stylist.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

Most beet roasting methods have alway perplexed me because they roast with skin on and in foil. I don't know why. In roasting, you want the high heat to hit the vegetable directly so it caramelizes it to an extent; you don't want to steam it. Try this: peel beets, cut into edible wedges the size of 1-2 bites. Toss w/ evoo, s and p. Roast 400 degrees F likely 10-15 min until they are almost pierceable w/ a skewer. Remove from oven, toss with some frozen OJ concentrate and minced garlic. Return to oven til easily pierced w/ skewer. Skip OJ if you want. Done.

B997a3e0 15e1 4323 99cc bf778a6da88e  52