beets please

Im still having a hard time keeping my beets lustrous and shiny like the ones here: http://cdn.sheknows.com/articles/2010/07/beet-salad.jpg

I usually toss them with olive oil and salt then roast them in an aluminum foil packet. Do you think I would have a better result if I boiled them? Will I have the same depth of flavor? Usually after they are cooked and peeled I toss them in oil then put them in the refrigerator, but they lose their intensity fairly quickly.

• Posted by: brandon
  • March 15, 2012

SeaJambon
SeaJambon March 15, 2012

Those do look gorgeous, but I think it is more about the olive oil after than the method of cooking (if you really want the look, maybe spray the whole thing with olive oil just before presentation?).

I both roast and boil, and can't say that I notice a significant difference in taste (but that may just be me); I do notice a significant difference in peeling. The peels really slip off the boiled ones where it is always a bit more of a struggle with the roasted.

bigpan
bigpan March 16, 2012

Use whatever cooking method you want - baking is best. The photo is a salad so it appears they have been tossed in a vinaigrette and the fruit and cheese added as a topping. Plain vinaigrette ... No mustard or balsamic or other ingredient that would darken it

pierino March 16, 2012

My own recipe for roasted beets goes like this http://www.food52.com/recipes... Horseradish complements that earthy beet flavor.

mainecook61
mainecook61 March 16, 2012

It is March. There are STILL beets in the cellar storage bin. I am sick of beets. Bring on the fiddleheads.

Ophelia
Ophelia March 16, 2012

I prefer roasting beets for flavour. You can dress the beets and them re-dress right before serving so that they're shiny, but it hardly seems worth the trouble. If they aren't as red as in the picture you are probably using a different breed of beet, some are very deep red, some are more fuchsia once they've been cooked, some end up almost orange once cooked.
Or you could hire a food stylist.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN March 19, 2012

Most beet roasting methods have alway perplexed me because they roast with skin on and in foil. I don't know why. In roasting, you want the high heat to hit the vegetable directly so it caramelizes it to an extent; you don't want to steam it. Try this: peel beets, cut into edible wedges the size of 1-2 bites. Toss w/ evoo, s and p. Roast 400 degrees F likely 10-15 min until they are almost pierceable w/ a skewer. Remove from oven, toss with some frozen OJ concentrate and minced garlic. Return to oven til easily pierced w/ skewer. Skip OJ if you want. Done.