A question about a recipe: Creamy Homemade Ricotta

I have a lot of table cream (18% fat) left over. Could I use some for this?

asked about 7 years ago

I have not made this but since Jennifer has you use heavy cream (36%) and whole milk (3.25%) I think using table cream would just about be the equivalent of the cream and milk. I don't know how to figure that out percentage wise but I would think it would be fine.

Thank you, sdb. That was my hunch also, but I was interested in the collective wisdom here. We'll be making it tomorrow, as we also have lots of left over lemons, and I'll post results. I'll do a Pearson's square on it tomorrow because it's a great tool to teach students, and I have a feeling that your reasoning is going to turn out to be perfectly sound.

I love homemade ricotta let me know if it works I'll just use table cream instead of buying cream and milk. I planned on making it soon, What is a Pearsons Square?

Oh, great tool for vectoring in on something that is a blend of percentages of two ingredients to create a third. I'll post it tomorrow. We'll make the ricotta tomorrow, and I'll post results right away if it works, and I have a good feeling it will.

Thanks thats sounds really helpful.

Easy to do, you'll love it.

Helen's All Night Diner

I have recently started making mozzarella, ricotta, and goat cheese. I had better success once I purchased some cheese making supplies and equipment. I would highly recommend you do so as well if you are going to make homemade cheeses. I purchased mine through The New England Cheesemaking Supply Company http://www.cheesemaking.com/

Can't wait for your results, boulangere. Helen's All Night Diner: have you used their goat cheese culture? I was thinking of getting some after being really disappointed with "make at home" goat cheese just using lemon juice.