A question about a recipe: Creamy Homemade Ricotta

I have a lot of table cream (18% fat) left over. Could I use some for this?

sdebrango September 18, 2011

I have not made this but since Jennifer has you use heavy cream (36%) and whole milk (3.25%) I think using table cream would just about be the equivalent of the cream and milk. I don't know how to figure that out percentage wise but I would think it would be fine.

boulangere September 18, 2011

Thank you, sdb. That was my hunch also, but I was interested in the collective wisdom here. We'll be making it tomorrow, as we also have lots of left over lemons, and I'll post results. I'll do a Pearson's square on it tomorrow because it's a great tool to teach students, and I have a feeling that your reasoning is going to turn out to be perfectly sound.

sdebrango September 18, 2011

I love homemade ricotta let me know if it works I'll just use table cream instead of buying cream and milk. I planned on making it soon, What is a Pearsons Square?

boulangere September 18, 2011

Oh, great tool for vectoring in on something that is a blend of percentages of two ingredients to create a third. I'll post it tomorrow. We'll make the ricotta tomorrow, and I'll post results right away if it works, and I have a good feeling it will.

sdebrango September 18, 2011

Thanks thats sounds really helpful.

boulangere September 18, 2011

Easy to do, you'll love it.

Helen's All Night Diner
Helen's All Night Diner September 19, 2011

I have recently started making mozzarella, ricotta, and goat cheese. I had better success once I purchased some cheese making supplies and equipment. I would highly recommend you do so as well if you are going to make homemade cheeses. I purchased mine through The New England Cheesemaking Supply Company http://www.cheesemaking.com/

Greenstuff September 19, 2011

Can't wait for your results, boulangere. Helen's All Night Diner: have you used their goat cheese culture? I was thinking of getting some after being really disappointed with "make at home" goat cheese just using lemon juice.