Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

Make Your Own Chai Tea

My mom is a big fan of chai tea. I was hoping to make her a homemade mix for mother's day. Ideally, I would want something similar to the stuff you find in tea bags of chai tea. Recipes I have found online are all multiple steps, including multiple steepings, etc. I understand, those would most likely taste better, but they wouldn't be very ship-able!! Any other recipes that would result in a one step brew?

asked by TheFritschKitchen over 4 years ago
84e1393f 0d16 4291 80cf 2c42b5acf188  noz photo

Here are two recipes from Food52 that you could customize:

07825364 abc5 42f5 bd7f f2a77f00dff0  20090907 jackson 8

This recipe is quick and easy if you have the spices on hand; I make it a lot for the kids before school. "Chai kits" make a really nice gift.

I put loose leaf chai tea (purchased from a local purveyor) or black tea bags in a teapot with hot water to steep (1 tsp. loose tea per cup, or 1 bag per 2 cups). Make it strong. While steeping, warm a cup of whole milk in a saucepan with 4 black peppercorns, 1 star anise, a few whole cloves, and 2 cinnamon sticks. Simmer on very low heat (do not boil) for about 5 minutes. Strain, and sweeten with honey, agave nectar, or sugar. Froth if you like. Pour the black tea into a mug to fill about 2/3. Top of with the warm spicy milk. If you can find Honey Ginger Crystals, they are nice to sprinkle on top, and would be nice to add to your "Chai kit".

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

The nice thing about chai is that it's very versatile - essential spices are fresh ginger and black peppercorns, and the others can be added to taste and preference: cumin, cinnamon, cardamom pods, fennel seeds, star anise, cloves, mace, nutmeg, turmeric, etc.

I usually just put a few pinches of the whole spices here and there, bash it up in a mortar & pestle with a knob of fresh ginger, and put the paste into a saucepan with some milk. Heat to simmer then add whole tea leaves and steep 3-5 minutes, strain and sweeten to taste.

It will completely turn you off any syrups or pre-mixed chai blends! I can't order it in restaurants any more.

For a shippable gift - perhaps you could just include whole spices of your choice in some nice stackable jars, and a knob of fresh ginger with some high quality black tea leaves and these instructions?

9fe0c12c e20f 4669 bb88 2c31ee17d5e2  french river

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the feedback. I think I"ll be able to hodge-podge together some sort of Chai kit. I'm sure there will have to be some brew-it-yourself aspect, but I think she'll like it!! Thanks again!

By the way, biggreencookbook, I love your site! Cocoa roasted pecans!! And that red lentil soup. I might have to make some of that today!