food photography

I hope there are few photo experts in food52 .My question best Nikon lense for closeup food photography I have a Nikon D90 SLR

asked by pauljoseph about 6 years ago

BoulderGalinTokyo

My son says, 'Depends. 90mm micro tamron lens is really popular, but it may be better to stick with a wider lens like 40mm.'

Hope that helps you.

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Hi Paul
Not a photography expert but I have looked into it a bit for my Nikon D60. If you want to spend the big bucks there is a beautiful Nikon f1.4mm 50mm AF-S lens:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon...

It's on my wish list!

(PS - I took your Day at Home course when I was in Kerala a few years ago - it remains one of my favourite food experiences!)

Sarah

pauljoseph

Hi Sarah nice to see you in food 52 do you remember the year and date you are with us in Cochin?

Reiney
Reiney

Yes! 29th November 2009. I still have the recipes and make a few from time to time.

pauljoseph

Yes two students you and one Mr.Anthony Kaul from Vancouver unfortunately I did not take any photos.

healthierkitchen

We have the same camera, and we have the 50 mm f/1.4 lens which we like very much. We had a 1.8 earlier, but that one was stolen with our last camera, and when we replaced it the 1.4 was less expensive and seems just as good for our needs.

cthewrld

If you want to do some quality macro work you should look at the Nikon 105mm macro lens. Expensive, but a killer lens. A good overall Nikon lens that will work well is one of the 55 - 200mm lenses. You will get added versatility for other applications with this lens. Having said that, I have been using both Nikon and Sigma lenses for years. You will get great quality, and a much better price by using the Sigma lens.

pauljoseph

I have on 17 70 sigma ,a 35mm Nikon and 55 200 Nikon VR .cthewrld I will try with my 55 200 Nikon VR for my food photo . Nikon Macro 105 price is more than $1000.

LE BEC FIN

paul, last week i emailed the food52 editors , suggesting that they do a feature article on food photography. They replied to me that they are working now on just such an article! But if you cannot wait to ask them this question in the comments section of their article, you might want to email them now and ask them: [email protected]
I bet you would receive a fast answer.
best,
mindy

This doesn't answer your specific question, but it is an interesting article:
http://www.bonappetit.com...

pauljoseph

Thank you Maedl