🔕 🔔

Best camera for food photography

Greetings! Are there cameras that Food52 recommends for food photography?

Thank you so much!
-Denice

asked by OurDailyFeed about 5 years ago

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I'm not a photography expert and I'm sure there are people on this site that will steer you more specifically, but if you're searching for a new camera I'd strongly encourage you to focus on the more pertinent question - "which lens."

Both Canon & Nikon offer similar functionality in terms of bodies, but one is known for being stronger in one type of lens versus the other. When I purchased my DSLR it was drilled into me: you're buying into a system, so choose wisely. You can upgrade bodies through the years, but to change all your lenses from Canon to Nikon (or vice versa) gets *expensive*. Go cheap(er) on the body and spend money on the glass (lens). Because that's where you'll get the return on investment.

- You can spend almost $1000 on an amazing wide angle lens - so of course how much you want to spend also comes into play.

- Then it depends on whether you're only using your camera for food photography, or if you're using it for other purposes (travel, portraits, etc).

- A great resource is the forums on dpreview.com