A question about a recipe: Oven Roasted Asparagus with Mascarpone Hollandaise

I have a question about step 3 on the recipe "Oven Roasted Asparagus with Mascarpone Hollandaise" from sdebrango. It says:

"To make the Hollandaise, add two egg yolks to your blender, add the lemon juice and give it a whirl. Add the mascarpone, salt pepper and lemon zest and blend until incorporated. It will be thick but should be of pourable consistency. You can adjust the seasoning to your taste."

So this is a RAW EGG recipe right? Can the eggs be cooked a bit over hot simmering water first for FOOD SAFETY?

• Posted by: susanz
  • April 27, 2012

ChefOno
ChefOno April 27, 2012

The current estimate of salmonella contamination is only 1 out of every 20,000 eggs in the U.S.

Whisk the lemon juice into the yolk and bring the mixture to 160F in a double boiler setup. The acid in the lemon will raise the yolk's curdling point above the pasteurization temperature. Cool in an ice bath.

sdebrango April 27, 2012

Thank you ChefOno, I appreciate your expertise.