Does anyone have a good recipe for Bran Muffins (with raisins)?
http://allrecipes.com... - if you want them even healthier sub oil for applesauce
My version of a Jeff Smith (The Frugal Gourmet) recipe:
In a very large bowl that has a tight-fitting lid (think Tupperware): Stir together 2 cups almost-boiling water and 2 Tablespoons baking soda. Let cool slightly and stir in 1 cup shortening (or butter) and 2 cups granulated sugar; blend well. Add 4 eggs and 1 quart buttermilk; stir. Add 5 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 6 cups of any raisin bran cold breakfast cereal. You can make a few muffins right away, and refrigerate the rest of the batter. Make fresh muffins as needed; the batter keeps in the refrigerator for 4 weeks.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Fill greased or sprayed muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes in middle level of oven.
This is the best bran muffin recipe I've ever found. I often sub chopped dried figs or dates for the raisins, and add toasted walnuts, as well.
• 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 1/3 cup vegetable oil
• 1 egg
• 2/3 cup brown sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup raisins
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
2. Mix together wheat bran and buttermilk; let stand for 10 minutes.
3. Beat together oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and add to buttermilk/bran mixture. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir flour mixture into buttermilk mixture, until just blended. Fold in raisins and spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.
4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool and enjoy!
Please enter a valid email address.
Well played. You deserve a cookie.
Summer Camp Week!
Shop Summer Trends
Win At Wedding Gfits
prevented successful signup:
We'll never post anything without your permission.
prevented successful login:
Thanks for signing up!
Connect with us to get more Food52!
Sign up for our useful, inspired emails and we'll
give you everything you need to eat and live better—including
recipes, how-tos, and exclusives and great gift ideas from our
kitchen and home shop.