Does anyone have a good recipe for Bran Muffins (with raisins)?
Are you channeling your best self with this comment? (If you're not sure, check out our Code of Conduct.)
http://allrecipes.com... - if you want them even healthier sub oil for applesauce
My version of a Jeff Smith (The Frugal Gourmet) recipe:
In a very large bowl that has a tight-fitting lid (think Tupperware): Stir together 2 cups almost-boiling water and 2 Tablespoons baking soda. Let cool slightly and stir in 1 cup shortening (or butter) and 2 cups granulated sugar; blend well. Add 4 eggs and 1 quart buttermilk; stir. Add 5 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 6 cups of any raisin bran cold breakfast cereal. You can make a few muffins right away, and refrigerate the rest of the batter. Make fresh muffins as needed; the batter keeps in the refrigerator for 4 weeks.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Fill greased or sprayed muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes in middle level of oven.
This is the best bran muffin recipe I've ever found. I often sub chopped dried figs or dates for the raisins, and add toasted walnuts, as well.
• 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 1/3 cup vegetable oil
• 1 egg
• 2/3 cup brown sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup raisins
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
2. Mix together wheat bran and buttermilk; let stand for 10 minutes.
3. Beat together oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and add to buttermilk/bran mixture. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir flour mixture into buttermilk mixture, until just blended. Fold in raisins and spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.
4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool and enjoy!
Please enter a valid email address.
Well played. You deserve a cookie.
Make room for this treat in your Easter basket.
Caramelized, Fruit-Studded British Cake
Stunning Whole Roasted Cauliflower
The Greatest Hits
Same Fave Casserole Carrier, New Color
Captcha must be verfied
Already have an account?
Don't have an account?
Please check your email for instructions on how to reset your password
Successfully logged out
Get the recipes and features that have us talking, plus first dibs on events and limited-batch products.
(Oh, and $10 off your order of $50 or more in the Food52 Shop, too.)