Sultana or thompson raisins for raisin bread?

What's the difference? I saw those two kinds at the grocery store, not sure which is best for baking (bread, muffins, cookies, etc)

• Posted by: Annie
  • February 19, 2016

ChefJune February 19, 2016

I think you usually see Thompsons in purchased raisin breads, but you can use whichever you like!

Nancy February 19, 2016

Yes both are best.
Not being silly.
OK, a little silly.
The sultanas, often called that in British recipes, more often golden raisins in USA & Canada, are from yellow grapes and are slightly sweeter.
Thompsons are from red grapes.
Choose what you like, what's available, what your eaters prefer.
You may also sub other dried fruits (currant, cranberry, chopped apricot etc) in recipes that call for raisins...because that's what you have on hand, or for variety.

Douglas Kincaide
Douglas Kincaide September 16, 2016

This is 100% wrong. Both are made from the same type of green grapes. The difference is Thompson raisins are dried using the sun, while sultanas are dried using a chemical process. The chemical process is what gives sultanas their yellowish color.

Nancy September 16, 2016

Douglas Kincaide, thank you for the correction about Thompson raisins.

702551
702551 September 16, 2016

Yes, sultanas have been treated with sulphur to retain color, just like dried apricots.

QueenSashy February 20, 2016

They will work well. Sultanas are more delicate, thompsons are more robust (roughly speaking), so you can make a selection based on what you will be serving the bread with. Or the flavor profile of your muffins and cookies. Sort of like white wine vs red. If the flavors are more delicate, you could go with sultanas. Bolder flavors land them selves nicely with thompson.

PHIL
PHIL September 16, 2016

I think the Thompsons just show up better in the bread or whatever your making so they visually may look more appealing.