Shopping for inspiration.

What are the must-visit gourmet markets in New York City?

asked by JRF over 6 years ago

Fairway, Zabar's, Whole Foods Columbus Circle.

Amanda Li
Amanda Li

Amanda is a developer at Food52.

Fairway and Kalustyan's

Eataly

Eataly of course. But this place is more like a department store or museum than a market. At least four aisles of pasta alone. And instead of clerks they could perhaps employ docents. There is probably a department for ladies' hats but I have'nt discovered it yet.

After that I'd head downtown to Russ & Daughters on E. Houston. Small, crowded and very lower East Side.

Uptown I do like Fairway and Zabars but it's almost torture to be in those places for more than a few minutes.

ReneePussman

Chelsea Market?

I guess I forgot Dean&DeLuca at Prince and Spring. Train stops outside the door.

Yes, Dean&DeLuca. Fairway before 10AM! :)

healthierkitchen

Definitely agree that Eataly is a great place to browse and find some imports that are hard to find elsewhere. And Pierino is spot on re: Russ and Daughters. Best smoked fish!

healthierkitchen

Or what we NYers call "appetizing".

Russ and Daughters is Mecca for smoked fish (yes, appetizing!) Slicing it properly is an almost lost art, still practiced there. But re: Italian, I'd head to Arthur Ave. in the Bronx. It's what Little Italy was before it became extinct - same vendors have been there forever, it's the real deal, not touristy. (Sorry, not a big Eataly fan.) Also not a gourmet store per se, but in warm weather, I'd head to the greenmarket in Union Square and the Smorgasbord at the Brooklyn Flea (Williamsburg) on Saturdays - vast assortment of delicious things. Oh, and so many others...