🔕 🔔

Tempering chocolate

Does white chocolate need tempering? What about milk chocolate? If so is there a difference in method from the method for tempering dark chocolate? Do a really need a special chocolate thermometer for this? I have never done this before. Thanks in advance!

asked by Tarragon about 5 years ago
0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Yes - all kinds of chocolate need to be tempered. The technique is the same though the white choc working temperature is lower than for milk or dark. You don't need a special thermometer - just a clean one that goes between 20C and 50C.

Don't stress - you can't screw this up unless you burn the chocolate. If it doesn't come into temper just re-heat and start again. Good luck!

Thank you so much! I'm going to spend Sunday experimenting on the best way to coat the chocolate covered cookies my stepdaughter has requested for her August wedding.