Soggy Crusts

Is there any way to prevent a crust (for a quiche, say, or a pie) from getting soggy other than the old egg yolk trick? That works well enough but I wonder if I'm missing out on a great trick. Of course, after long enough, even the sturdiest crust gets soft, but I'm looking for the best way to allay that.

rt21
rt21 May 4, 2012

I bake the crust blind and then use egg white on the base,

allans
allans May 4, 2012

For savory quiche, I bake the crust blind and for the last few minutes I remove it and brush Dijon mustard on it and return it to the oven for the last 5-7 mins. Works for me, plus it adds terrific flavor

Reiney
Reiney May 4, 2012

Do you mean it gets soggy right away, or after a few days of storage?

ATL
ATL May 5, 2012

In addition to the helpful suggestions above, if you are not baking in a convection oven, be sure to bake your pie in the lower third of your oven.

Sam1148 May 5, 2012

All of the above. Also look into "Vodka Pie Crust" ..replacing some of the water with vodka, and putting that in the freezer to use for the crust. The Vodka does two things, it lowers the temp in the water at which ice forms (which is bad for crusts)...and doesn't create glutens to make a tough crust. Vodka doesn't bring any taste to the crust and there's no Alcohol flavor for the Amt used as it bakes off. IMHO I think all crusts should be 'blind baked' before adding wet filling.