🔕 🔔

How long does tahini last? There is no refrigeration required after opening and no mention of expiration.

asked by lindawee over 6 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

good question. It lasts a reasonably long time in the fridge (months I'd say), but will eventually it gets hard and difficult to get the oil mixed back in plus it becomes horribly bitter.

895246da b96b 4ecd 949f 61056e179c1f  head shot

I've left it for months and months and have still used it fine. Eventually it goes rancid, but you really have to wait a long time.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I have kept tahini for time periods that seem like forever! I think I've gotten tired of it and figured "it's time to get some new" before it became rancid or bitter. I do refrigerate it. But I guess that's me. There are a heck of a lot more things that other people refrigerate while I do not.

I do referigerate it because it will last a very long time-- months and months, yes--a year, yes, in my experience. I am extremely sensitive to rancid oil odor, so I just give the sniff test. I have not experienced bitterness yet, but I'm going to give a small taste in the future to avoid that. Thanks for that tip, harlikearmor

Another thought, I suppose you wouldn't need to refrigerate it if you use it so frequently that it is never really stored. I don't keep my cooking oil or my olive oil in the fridge because I turn it around in a month or less. But I do think sesame is a bit more sensative and I should keep my pure sesame oil in the fridge as well.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Put "tahini" in the FP search box and you will see previous discussions on this subject at the end of the list. Personally, I've never had rancid tahini, many years, many brands; or a bitter taste (which would be an indication of rancidity). I think I can tell, since that smell is so characteristic! And, I don't refrigerate.