Should I refrigerate tahini? When does it expire

There's no "Refrigerate after opening" warning on the tin (Jovya brand), nor is there an expiration date. Should I refrigerate after opening and how long does it generally last? (I made HadYourTea?'s Spinach and Lemon Hummus and it was great, by the way: http://www.food52.com/recipes...)

a Whole Foods Market Customer

You can extend the shelf life by a few months keeping it in the fridge, but it may be more challenging to spoon out when it's very cold. I'd give you about 2 weeks in the pantry at room temp.

lloreen
lloreen March 18, 2012

yes, refrigerate it. I don't see why it should expire any faster than any other nut butter like peanut butter or almond butter. I have kept both of those in the fridge for over a month.

Voted the Best Reply!

Greenstuff March 18, 2012

I do refrigerate tahini, but I think it'd last a lot longer than 2 weeks at room temperature. In the refrigerator, it lasts more than a year. You'll be able to tell if it goes rancid..

susan g March 18, 2012

No need to refrigerate, and it lasts a long time. This is a traditional food that came long before modern food storage, from hot climates. As with any other food, do not contaminate it with fingers or utensils used in another food.
This question has been extensively discussed previously on Hotline, and I know there is difference of opinion. I have used it for years and years and never had a hint of rancidity or any other problem. (Use the search, upper right, for Hotline, if you want to see more.)

nat666
nat666 March 18, 2012

I always keep my tahini in the fridge. It doesn't get hard or anything. Just stir it well before you use it because it tends to separate. It will last for a long time. I have had some that has lasted for almost a year!