How fast does fresh produce degrade when handled properly?

I just read that if fresh produce sits on the shelf for two to three days it has no nutritional value. Not sure what to make of that. After going to the farmers market, getting a weeks supply of vegetables and fruit, will my produce at the end of the week have nutritional value anymore?

asked by Truly Scrumptious about 4 years ago
A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

I don't know where you picked up that "information" but it certainly wasn't from a nutritionist or a food scientist. Relax, it's all good.

4ea90aee 8dbf 4717 8fcb 5fe4f5bf3409  image

ok thank you. I was reading from the Doctor who treated Steve Jobs and recently Adam Yach. He talks about preventing cancer and recovering through food. He talks about nutrition,.. etc.

This is going to sound flippant but, seriously, those guys are dead, I wouldn’t take any advice from that "doctor".

This is a little out of date as it was written before Yauch eventually succumbed to cancer but it might help balance whatever you read:

http://www.kevinmd.com...

Ok, I see. I read it. i appreciate that ..... yet my question remains.
Anyway, his statement still had me considering how long does different produce last with nutrition. Or another way to ask this is ... What is the rate of degradation in proportion to nutrition. I do know to keep things in their own groups and separated etc.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

More than anything, I worry about flavor degrading in produce over time. Of course, things are at their nutritional and gustatory peak right out of the ground, but that's just unattainable for most of us. I can't speak to how rapidly nutrients degrade in produce. I would imagine that it differs depending on what kind of produce (beets versus kale, for instance) you're dealing with, and also what nutrients you're specifically referring to. Nutrition science has a lot of grey areas. I go by freshness. I buy fresh produce and try to eat it all within the week. Beyond that, I simply think there's a lot of speculation regarding "nutrients."

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Possibly there is an answer in shifting the question from how long does it take for fresh produce to deteriorate to how to support growers in a way to buy the freshest produce.

If you buy organic, if you buy in season, you have the best.

Purchasing at your farmers market implies you are getting the best. I say thank the growers you are purchasing from.

yes thank you. Don't worry, I am grateful to my farmers and I am grateful for my food always. I am grateful to have access to good food. I know it is a privelege.

Oh and yes, of course, I do thank them personally >>>> EVERY Single time

I have grown my own forever, until this year. I moved recently. The farmers at our markets ask plenty of money for the food also. They get doubly appreciated verbally and monetarily. I hope that meets your expectations of me.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Agreed with comments about freshness/seasonality/taste being at the forefront of my concern. I think kale (or any other vegetable) is healthy 1 day out of the ground or 7 days out of the ground, so long as it's still in good shape, and resist any attempt to make nutrition more complicated than that.

very well, thank you.

Have had the privilege of spending time in locations around the world where food is the issue, not how fresh, Just being able to feed children. And always what supports is purchasing from women growers.

This is such a great question. It illuminates so much. Questions around the whole supply management issue, big agriculture - so much to learn.

Once again, thank you for the question.

Thank you for your reply and kindness.

yes, very good. Thank you for feedback. Yes, proper food handling, storage are already considered as stated in my question. And I do consider the breakdown of nutrients when cooking. I once worked for a chef that after manipulating the food in so many ways to get it to new heights and design, that I do believe their were no nutrients left. I watched him and thought wow... what is the point in all that. Their couldn't possibly be any nutritive quality left. Since, i have always kept how cooking (different techniques over others) degrades the nutritional value in consideration. I just wondered if their was any ratio to consider in nutritional loss... such as 1 day 100,5 2day half that and so on... but I guess like you said if it looks and good and taste good.. eat it.

The problem with assigning numbers like that is you'd have to track each nutrient value for each food. It's far easier to simply say "fresher = better".

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

If you think about it from an evolutionary perspective, it seems to me that we (meaning we humans) have probably evolved an intrinsic sense of what food is fresh enough to retain nutritive value for us (I.e., those of our ancestors who could not make this distinction instinctively were probably less likely to survive and procreate). An oversimplification perhaps, but I still count it as an argument in favor of "if it looks good, eat it".

i just wondered ... so really forgive me for my inquiry. It looks as though everyone thinks I am too ... something or another.... so ... geez, i was just wondering how fast the nutrition actually disappears from food. This has been an unpleasant experience communicating with this community. I will find my way out of here.

well please forgive me for having an analytical inquiring mind.

Well, hmmm… You expressed a concern and 5 people immediately responded trying to help with polite, well considered responses. The fact all 5 of us have said, in different words and from different perspectives, that you're asking a question that has no definitive answer should tell you something. I'm sorry you found the experience unpleasant.

A question with no definitive answer eh?
well, what is that supposed to mean./... what does it is supposed to tell me ... that i asked a dumb qquestion... ?
I definitely am feely attacked by you. Please leave me alone. You seem condescending and I do not like it at all. and one person thought they needed to tell me to thank my farmers. YEs, This is not fun at all.

I just realized you are a guy and regualrly partake in alcohol as in your profile says the most valuable thing in your kitchen is the wine glass in your hand. Hmmm... that says alot./You are kinda mean. And btw, the question I asked is a very intelligent one and it most certainly has an answer. The deal is why go through alot of trouble to prepare and eat something if it has lost half its nutrition...Just because it looks good and smells good does not mean that it has retained most or half of the nutrients..

Ha! Thank you for all that -- best laugh I've had all day!

19f2e275 c635 488f 8322 530158a23e00  food52

Many restaurant chefs, unless they specifically market their product as "healthy", really dont try their hardest to retain nutritional value. The focus is instead on "refining" the product in unique ways to create a texture and flavor that makes your taste buds dance, and is visually pleasing.

Its difficult to gauge the exact rate of nutrient loss any fresh produce goes through.with time. I think that the produce that looks the freshest, and has been cooked the least will provide the most nutrient value.