Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

Vegan breakfast

Dr. recently recomended me to reduce dairy and eggs because of allergies. At least on two foods per day I should avoid them. I am having trouble finding easy and quick recipes to substitute my cereal an milk bowl for breakfast. I am not all into substitutes like soy milk, almond milk. I would rather get some ideas for "vegan breakfasts?" I love meat.. I say vegan because of avoiding dairy and eggs.

asked by anaefdz over 4 years ago
Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538

A very good friend of mine is vegan. She usually has what can only be described a vegetable smoothie for breakfast. She basically gets out her vitamix and deposits part of her CSA box in to it. She swears it is filling and energizing. She prefers kale as the main ingredient. That said, Ihave heard raves about almond milk although I have not tried it.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

What about a tofu scramble? Typically the recipes are vegan, but you could certainly add some sausage or bacon. http://vegetarian.about...

One of my favorite breakfasts is toast with peanut butter and honey. Also, the Chia Seed Pudding on this website is very good and very filling.

Wholefoods user icon

My family and I are cutting way back on animal products, too. My favorite quick breakfast is peanut butter and jam on whole wheat toast - lasts me all morning! There are also a whole bunch of whole grains you can cook up with water for a porridge-type deal: oatmeal, buckwheat, millet, etc. - very good with a bit of honey, coconut butter and chopped nuts. I know you said you don't like the milk substitutes, but there are so many of them, some sweetened and some not. If you haven't experimented with them much, you might give them another chance. I usually end up mixing them because the sweet ones are way too sweet for me. Coconut/almond is a wonderful mix!

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

While I do eat milk and eggs, I don't have them every day. I got tired of shoveling cold cereal into my mouth, and stick to hot cereals now. There are some amazing recipes for 'porridge' type breakfasts on the site, some made in a crockpot so they are ready by morning, or (especially) steel cut oats which can be half cooked at night and left to soak for a final quick finish in the morning.
One atypical (for Americans) breakfast is dal -- http://www.food52.com/recipe... -- look for a number of choices.
Very often I have a green drink, made from a powdered mix, with water as the liquid. Of course, adding anything fresh makes it better.... Even when I don't have anything else, I feel satisfied and energized the rest of the morning.
Fresh fruit, muffins (made without the dairy and egg; plenty of recipes) (I just made a version of this:
http://www.food52.com/recipes... -- to eliminate the milk, I would mix 1/3 tahini, which is a calcium source, with 2/3 water). Muffins are very forgiving when you substitute! When you find one you like, you're set for a while.
Like all dietary exclusions, it is hard to see how to fill the empty place in your usual repertoire. Try to look at all the wonderful foods that you can have. You'll end up enjoying the challenge!

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Uncoventional, but I don't eat "breakfast foods" because most are carbs and my body does better low carb. I eat salads with proteins for breakfast. Or hummus and veggies with melba toast.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

How about Japaneese breakfast? Miso soup (can be made with veggie stock--and sea weeds) with tofu for protein-- easy to heat up the stock in the microwave and pour a spoon full over miso in a bowl and mash with a fork and finish filling the bowl with tofu cubes, and dehydrated wakame seaweed added at that point. Steamed brown rice with toasted nori crumbles. Pickles--cucumber slices in vinegar made the night before--or for the week. A low acid fruit (if you do the pickles) like banana, apples or melons. And of course Green Tea; sweetened with a simple sugar of 1 to 1 water sugar, heated with sliced ginger and stored in a squeeze bottle for use. (This is also great as a ice tea for a travel cup).

Wish for the edit button back. I should have you finish filling the bowl--after smashing the miso with a spoon of hot stock, and then add the more of the stock and tofu; maybe sliced mushrooms or rehydradrated wakame.

You eat fish stock, the powdered dashi (fish stock) is available in most Asian markets either in packets or better in jars..about 1 tsp to 1 cup of hot; heat in microwave. And frankly that's what most Japaneese resturants use; unlike chicken/beef stock crystals the dashi crystals are pretty much true to taste of the long form DIY stock.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

Pho is another good one. The Vietnamese eat it for breakfast. Of course, it does involve stock (homemade is preferable although I suppose you could sub store-bought, but you want a good anise flavor in your stock), and there are perhaps too many components for it to be much of a quick breakfast, but it's wholesome and filling.
Beyond that, steel cut oats or whole grain toast with nut butter and honey are my usual breakfast standbys. There's something about honey that staves off hunger.

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

First things first: the most stereotypical vegan breakfast is always topped with avocado slices.

My most typical breakfast consists of some kind of spread, or simply olive oil, on toast, with sliced cucumber (tomatoes, too, in season), some kind of sprouts, and whatever greens I have on hand. All garnished with salt and pepper and maybe some seeds like sunflower.

For spreads, my favorite to have on hand is cashew ricotta. This can be made easily by soaking cashews overnight, then draining, rinsing, and pureeing in a food processor with olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano, lemon, a few splashes of water, and nutritional yeast if you are in the mood to make it cheesy. Do a whole pound of cashews and keep it to use throughout the week.

Even though I can't eat it anymore, the previous suggestion of tofu scramble is a great way to ease yourself into vegan everyday breakfasts. There is a great recipe in the book Vegan Brunch by Isa Moskowitz. I also like the other suggestion of smoothie, which I often pair with the toast. I usually go with banana, coconut milk, some kind of berry, hemp/chia/flax seeds...maybe spirulina if I'm in the mood. The key is to keep a wide variety in your diet.

Have fun!

413f2951 2a22 427c 951a 7825bfb617ad  cashew ricotta

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

At least in cooler weather, one of our favorite breakfasts is old fashioned oatmeal. If you have a microwave, even old fashioned oats take just minutes to cook. You just use water to hydrate and add lots of fruit such as pears or berries or bananas, maybe a little brown sugar or maple syrup and/or some cinnamon. You can add chia sees and or wheat germ if you're so inclined.