Hot Dogs!

Have an idea for a BBQ party with friends and family this summer, just wondering what kind of interesting/unique/bizarre hot dog toppings everyone has done or tried?

asked by cdnrattlesnake over 6 years ago

RellaBellaK

I made a delicious sweet and spicy red pepper jelly which sounds kinda weird but it was AMAZING with the saltiness of the hot dogs http://pennypinchingepicure.com/2012/02/red-pepper-jam/

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

You can do a recipe search on this site for "hot dogs" and find a number of unusual toppings.

Benny

Try Caramelized onions or onion marmalade or chutney. I like to do a small dice of cucumber salad sometimes. I've even wrapped them in bacon.

For the dogs: delicious recipe from Thirschfeld for French Poodles (corn dogs)
http://food52.com/recipes...
Scroll down below the recipe to the Comments section for reader's good ideas.

For condiments: recommend Sweet & Savory Tomato Jam by Jennifer Perillo.
It's not "unique or bizarre," but definitely an addictive replacement to ketchup.
http://food52.com/recipes...
Some might disagree, but you can cook this up perfectly well using canned whole tomatoes, drained of sauce (Hunt's plum or Muir Glen organic), since garden tomatoes aren't available yet.

Am thinking anything with mustard, pickled veggies would also be great. Or an Asian sweet-sour slaw that could be lobbed into a hot dog bun.

Try vvvanessa's Yum Dogs! They're wrapped in bacon and accompanied by a spicy bean sprout slaw: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Midge

I second hla. Those yum dogs are amazing!

Excuse me BUT, there is no better hot dog on earth than the Chicago style, dragged through the garden. Requirements: an all beef dog in a natural casing, ball park mustard, bright green relish, [don't stop here], pickle or fresh cucumber slices, celery salt is essential, sport peppers which you may have to import from Chicago but you can sub with pepperoncino if need be. In Chicago this would be served on a poppy seed bun. End of discussion.

oh, and on the Chicago dog, ketchup is absolutely forbidden.

I'm back. I do love hot dogs. Another twist would be the kimchi dog. I am from LA after all.

fernetaboutit

Seattle style- with cream cheese!!

petitbleu

The Chicago dog is a fine dog. You can also top them with Cincinnati chili for a meaty extravaganza. I usually go back to the reuben dog, though--sauerkraut, mustard (if you're feeling fancy, make a Russian dressing), caraway seeds.

In cincinnati they put chili on macaroni, now that is just depraved. ;-)

Actually, in Cinci they put it on spaghetti...if they put it on spaghetti with cheese, it's a '3-way' (ahem.) Oh, and if they put chili on a hot dog, it's called a Coney...

ATG117

In my pre-vegetarian days, I loved a slightly sweet coleslaw on my hotdogs.

If you can find them. Toufayan Brand "Snuggles" hot dog buns are great.
They're U shaped and rather sturdy and taste a bit like a Hawaiian bread.
Some stores don't have them where they stock buns, but rather in the bakery near the pita bread..sometimes you have to request them to stock and they'll keep them in the freezer for requests.

Actually these would work great for a lobster roll.

sfmiller

The Sonoran hot dog of southern Arizona and northern Mexico is awfully good. Bacon wrapped weiner on a bollito with refried beans, guacamole, crema (or sometimes mayo), and whatever salsas and pickles you like among what the vendor has on hand. Kind of like the love child of a hot dog and a torta.