What are your favorite recipes for making bread using a wild yeast levain (sourdough starter)? I have a good starter, but need ideas. ;o)

I created the starter using the method recommended in William Alexander's amusing and informative "52 Loaves," but am looking to branch out. Thanks so much, everyone. ;o)

Benny
Benny May 11, 2012

I have a beautiful starter I made with Peter Reinhart's recipe from "Bread Baker's Apprentice".

I constantly make those breads with outstanding results each time.

hardlikearmour May 11, 2012

Message boulangere! She's the bread queen.

boulangere May 11, 2012

Bless you, hla! I, too, would suggest obtaining The Bread Baker's Apprentice. Peter Reinhart was my Breads instructor in culinary school, and a couple of years later I did recipe testing for that book. It's a gold mine.

petitbleu
petitbleu May 11, 2012

I love Tartine Bread. I've been using their basic recipe, with variations, for over a year, and love the results. The polenta bread is beyond wonderful.

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon May 12, 2012

I can not recommend any source more than Dan Lepard's book The Handmade Loaf http://www.powells.com/biblio/66-9781845333898-0
When I had a starter going in my bakery I made as many of these loaves as I could and all them were smashing. I especially loved the flavor and texture of the cornmeal-yogurt loaf and the potato bread. I still yearn for them today. Have so much fun!

fernetaboutit
fernetaboutit May 12, 2012

I don't have a recipe off the top of my head, but sourdough pancakes are the best! I'm sure you could find a good one here or by searching google.

Maria Teresa Jorge

Peter Reinhart and Dan Lepard are definately very good. You might be interested to check out an amazing book called LOCAL BREADS - Sourdough and whole-grain recipes from Europe's best artisan bakers - DANIEL LEADER. Fantastic research, very good recipes and very informative.

Raquelita
Raquelita May 14, 2012

I have a very simple recipe using only the starter, barley malt powder, some salt and a mixture of whole grain and bread flours. It's lovely, based on the King Arthur Flour standard sourdough hearth bread recipe. Recently I've been making sourdough pizza crust and stovetop sourdough flatbread--the same dough, different technique. The best part about those two is they actually rely on a less active starter, so it's great when you've been neglecting your mother :). I've been meaning to share that recipe on this site, I'll re-reply and let you know when I've finally sat down to do that.

susan g May 14, 2012

If you have the Tassajara Bread Book, you'll see a chapter called 'Unyeasted Breads." There is a chapter for sourdough, but I think the Unyeasted breads could be a springboard for some unique and earthy variations on the theme.

Raquelita
Raquelita May 22, 2012

Hi AJ, I finally tried to get my recipe on this site. I say tried because, as you know, cooking is so much intuition. Hopefully this is a good guide to my sourdough pizza/flatbread. I just grilled it this weekend and that might be my favorite incarnation. Enjoy: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

AntoniaJames May 29, 2012

Thanks, everyone! Rivka and I have had a bit of back and forth on my Buttermilk Oatmeal Bread recipe, http://www.food52.com/recipes... . She used a starter with success to make that bread (and included her conversion data), as have I, though I have yet to post the details. I also had great success using the same method with my barley and whey bread, posted here too. I made the buttermilk oatmeal bread over the weekend, using ricotta whey for the balance of the liquid. It was fantastic! My son and husband devoured that loaf before I could photograph it. I will probably re-post both recipes, adapted to incorporate 250 grams of 100% hydration starter, within the next few weeks. ;o)

thirdchild
thirdchild May 29, 2012

The Sourdough Olive Bread on sourdoughhome.com is a fantastic bread. It is always a hit in my house and beyond. We have also enjoyed the Steel Cuts Oats Sourdough on Breadtopia.com. Other than that, Peter Reinhart's BBA and Artisan Breads Every Day are standards.

CHeeb
CHeeb May 29, 2012

AJ,
I used your cooked rice bread recipe last weekend, and included 2 cups of wild yeast starter in lieu of several ingredients. I left out the nuts and whole grain flours,however included the milk, flour , and blended rice. Since my starter was very active, I only used one tsp of yeast. I cooked the loaf in a 9 inch square Emile Henry clay baking dish for 60 minutes. I did allow a long rise in the frig over night before baking. We are still enjoying the loaf .
I am an inveterate recipe tinkerer ,but your recipe structure gave me great ideas . I would never have thought to incorporate ground cooked rice into bread. Try it with a wild yeast starter ...ch

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo May 30, 2012

AJ and CHeeb, I searched this site for rice bread and nothing came up, Do you have a link to your recipe??Thank you.

AntoniaJames May 31, 2012

BoulderGalinTokyo, if you are looking for a particular recipe and you know the name of the cook, you can actually type that into the search field in the upper right hand box, along with a few ingredients or, in this case, "Bread" and you should be able to find it easily. I just sort of stumbled on that trick shortly after joining FOOD52. I use it when looking for my own recipes, given the number of pages they now occupy. ;o)

CHeeb
CHeeb May 31, 2012

AJ's recipe is named Savory Cooked Rice Sandwich Bread . It is on Food 52 's search engine or also under her recipes...tis wonderful...ch

AntoniaJames May 31, 2012

Thanks, CHeeb! I'm planning to make a loaf this evening in fact, using some "Brown Rice Medley" (brown rice, daikon radish seed and black barley) from Trader Joe's that's been in the fridge a few days . . . . + I'll use my very active levain, and give it an overnight rise! ;o)