North Carolina BBQ

I'm looking for some recommendations of fairly authentic NC BBQ recipes. I tried google but I don't know enough about BBQ let alone NC-style to tell which recipes are authentic, likely to be good, etc. thanks!

usuba dashi
usuba dashi May 12, 2012

Eastern shore (vinegar, pepper) or more inland (Vinegar, mustard, pepper and maybe some sweet)? Two different styles

Susan Boyles
Susan Boyles May 12, 2012

Oh, well, then you must not be from NC! The question is Western or Eastern - a topic of some debate here;) I'm Eastern NC, so here's mine - it's vinegar based and designed for pulled pork because that's what we mean by "BBQ" here on the coast! Here's a good website with more info on both styles. http://www.ncbbq.com/Modules/Articles/article.aspx?id=20

1 cup White Vinegar
1 cup Cider Vinegar
1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
1 tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
1 tablespoon Hot Pepper Sauce (or to taste)
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Pepper
4-5 pound Pork Shoulder or Butt Roast

Season the shoulder with a little salt & pepper. Place on grill using indirect heat and cook with the lid down for several hours at bout 250-275 degrees, turning occasionally. (Or you can sear, place in crockpot with some water and cook on low overnight)

Mix the sauce ingredients together. Store in a jar with a lid in the refrigerator.
I
When pork is cooked through and falling apart, remove from grill. Rest for 15 minutes. Shred the pork with two forks or chop fine with a knife. Place in a bowl and add sauce to your taste, tossing to coat.

Enjoy with a fork or on a bun with some coleslaw.

Pork can be refrigerated for several days or frozen in an airtight container for several months.

MTMitchell
MTMitchell May 13, 2012

That sounds perfect. Thanks!!!!

mbergner
mbergner May 13, 2012

A lot of info and recipes can be found on the following site. Good luck.
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/index.html

pierino May 13, 2012

The distinctive thing about Carolina barbecue is the use of vinegar in the mop sauce. Ballpark mustard in the sauce which Usuba Dashi mentiond is also common. For me anyway, you can't barbecue in the oven. You need smoke, and there's only one way to get that. Set some wood on fire (and I don't mean Kingsford).