Ramp Carbonara

I'm rather confused with this recipe - 5 WHOLE eggs? Carbonara isn't made with egg whites because the protein in egg whites coagulate and you don't get a creamy carbonara. I would say one egg white would be tops. I'm curious to kow how did you do it in the test kitchen or if anyone can give me feedback?! Thank you.

meganvt01
meganvt01 May 14, 2012

Every carbonara I have made has used whole eggs and this recipe does in fact use five whole eggs. I guess that is the problem with using a classic name like 'carbonara' in your recipe - everyone has their view on how it should be made and deviations from that perspective can be unwelcome. I hope you will try it and see if it works out for you.

Merrill Stubbs May 14, 2012

This recipe actually works beautifully -- yes, you get a few tiny little pieces of egg white here and there, but nothing major, and we actually think it added to the dish!

Maria Teresa Jorge

Thank you for your answers.