How long will a whipped cream frosted cake last in the refrigerator?

I am making a sponge base with whipped cream in the middle of 2 or 3 layers of cake. I would prefer not to have to do this just before serving.

The Spiced Life
The Spiced Life May 16, 2012

It depends on how (and if) you stabilize the whipped cream. For super stabilization--which I suspect you need for layers, etc--it involves gelatin. I have done it once, I think I used an Alice Medrich recipe. For less intense stabilization, for example if you want your whipped cream to last in a container in the fridge for a day or so without weeping much, using powdered sugar (i.e., the cornstarch) will usually do the trick.

susan frimond
susan frimond May 16, 2012

Thank you! What ratio of powdered sugar to cream please.

The Spiced Life
The Spiced Life May 16, 2012

I usually just sweeten it that way, so when it is sweet enough you should be fine. What would that be, a tablespoon or 2 to a cup of whipping cream? Sorry if I was late answering this, I actually did check to see if you had any questions but I could not find the darn question at first!

Cake Mama
Cake Mama May 16, 2012

I've heard that a tsp. of cream of tartar also helps.....