To cook or not to cook the rhubarb

I'm making a kuchen: yeasted sweet dough crust with a sour-cream custard and fruit topping. I want to use rhubarb for the fruit but wonder if I should cook it first or macerate it in sugar before baking. Or should I simply cut it up, mix w/sugar and use it raw? I'm worried that it will give up too much liquid and make the filling runny.

asked by Shoshanadh over 6 years ago

Shoshanadh

Thank you!

petitbleu

I've made several rhubarb coffee cakes recently, and I simply chop up the fruit and add it to the batter. However, I imagine that roasting the rhubarb would be really lovely, as it would concentrate the flavor and do away with some of the liquid.