🔕 🔔

Sweetened condensed milk uses

Any ideas for using up a can of sweetened condemsed milk, , aside from dulche de levhe or tres leches cake. I was thinking of using it to sweeten a frosting I'll be making for cupcakes, but i don't know how much of it I'll really be able to use, seeing that the frosting will likely need the confectioners sugar for structure. Any other ideas?

asked by ATG117 about 6 years ago

Or Thai iced tea. Same idea as the Vietnamese coffee.

mainecook61

Millionaire's shortbread. Vietnamese yogurt.

petitbleu

Magic cookie bars. Heaven.

BoulderGalinTokyo

The Japanese love to dip fresh strawberries in it, sold together.

Lynnht

Vietnamese coffee or an easy hot fudge sauce.

Christine

Key lime pie

Cristina Sciarra

Agreed. Mix one can with 1/2 cup key lime juice and 4 egg yolks. Pour it into a graham cracker crust, and bake at 350F for 12 minutes. Chill before serving.

Louisa

Also Blue Heaven in Key West has great Key Lime Pie. It seems they double the filling (8 eggs, 2 cans sweetened condensed milk, 1 C fresh lime juice.) Bake in unbaked pie shell 30 min @350. Meanwhile, do a meringue (8 whites, 3/4 C sugar, 1t cream tartar.) Bake again 15 minutes. Someone gave me this recipe as one as close as they could get to the wonderful Blue Heaven pie. and it's very good! When we were in Key West I would have this for breakfast with coffee.

Dea Henrich

You can use it to make a no-bake cheese cake, which you can then top with seasonal fruit. Just beat an 8oz block of cream cheese until fluffy. Mix in a a can of sweetened condensed milk along with 1/3 C lemon juice, a teaspoon of good vanilla, and a dash of real almond extract. Pour into a graham cracker crust and chill until firm. Top with your favorite fruit topping, or, if you have some dulce de leche on hand, drizzle that over the top.

ATG117

Wow, so many great ideas! Who knew there was such a simple way to make key lime pie. Thanks all. I used it to make Vietnamese iced coffee, which both I and company adored--wondering why coffee shops aren't selling this stuff. But in light of all the great ideas (not to mention that I can eat it by the spoonful), I may be in the market to pick up another can. On a related note, anyone know how long the stuff would last in the refrigerator (assuming a while). And finally, I'm intrigued by those who mentioned Vietnamese yogurt. What is the final product like? Is it very sweet?

I've always dipped sweet French bread into sweetened condensed milk. It's Vietnamese thing and it's really good.

LarderandLibary

This is what I am going to try, from thekitchn:
Homemade Chocolate Frosty
Makes 1 quart

2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup (4 ounces) chocolate syrup
1 (7 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Whisk together the milk, chocolate syrup, and condensed milk, and refrigerate until chilled, at least one hour. In a separate mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream and vanilla until soft peaks just begin to form. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Pour the chocolate milk mixture into the bowl of the ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers instructions (about 15 - 20 minutes in my Cuisinart). Once the ice cream is thick, turn the maker off, remove the paddle, and fold in the chilled whipped cream until it is completely incorporated.

Serve immediately, or transfer to a covered, freezer-safe container and freeze. (If freezing, let ice cream soften a few minutes before serving; you want it to be the consistency of a milkshake.)