How much lettuce for salad for 40 people?

How many cups of lettuce, or what weight, would you purchase to make a green salad for 40?

Voted the Best Reply!

boulangere May 21, 2012

Are you familiar with the tubs of spring mix at Costco? That would probably be the easiest way to go. Two of them should be fine, as I'm guessing you're also going to add some grape tomatoes, some multi-colored peppers, maybe some fresh corn. Make a good vinaigrette, and you should have something lovely to present!

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen May 21, 2012

I tend to have big salad eaters, so with tubs that size, I'd probably have to use 4. Wish I could tell you weight, but I usually eyeball heads of lettuce. A medium to large head should serve at least 4 - 6, depending on what else you're adding, as boulangere says, or how many other dishes you're serving. Also, is it dinner or lunch? Kids included in that number or no? etc. Also depends on type of lettuce - a large head of romaine would probably serve 6 or more, whereas a "large" head of butter lettuce only four or so.

em-i-lis
em-i-lis May 21, 2012

super helpful y'all. many thanks, c and w!! :)

Linn
Linn May 24, 2012

I count about 100 grams for a side dish salad of mixed greens. That would be 3 - 4 ounces or about 8 to 9 pounds for 40 people.

Linn
Linn May 26, 2012

Revised answer. Just washed and weighed the mesclum purchased at my GreenMarket. No waste. 100% edible. 50 grams or scant 2 ounces is plenty for this pristine mix.

em-i-lis
em-i-lis May 30, 2012

thank you!!